Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mix & match?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
Mix & match?
« on: November 11, 2010, 06:53:11 pm »
I just got a pair of new kegs, both of which say "Cornelius Company" on the side.  However, they have the wedge-shaped pressure relief valves.  Does anyone know if I have a prayer of replacing them with the normal ring-style valves?  The valves on the new kegs (the 2 wedge-shaped ones) are both near dead, so I need to replace them some how.  The seal on one has fallen off, and is litterally just sitting in the bottom of the hole.

Any idea where I can replace these?  Or, alternatively, swap for the commonly available ring-style valves?  Again, these are definitely Corny kegs, but I'm wondering if the lids were swapped for firestone lids before I got them...

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Mix & match?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »
You can buy new lids at any of the big online homebrewing shops like morebeer.com, midwest or northernbrewer.com.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:59:54 pm »
This place has the best prices I've found, but I have not ordered from them.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_3_89
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 11:43:02 pm »
I've ordered from them. Good service and prompt delivery. YMMV.

To answer your question I think you can swap the relief valves.

Got a decent deal on kegs but looks like they'll be selling only parts soon:

KEG SUPPLY:

We have been liquidating Pepsi's used equipment since 1996.
In some years we liquidated over 60,000 kegs per year.
On 9/29/2009 we picked up the LAST 800 kegs in the Pepsi Corporate system in the Western U.S.
Pepsi (PBG) has no more kegs on the west coast.

UPDATE 10-2010:
An independent Pepsi Franchise plant will be making a keg release w/in 45 days.
There will be only 2,400 kegs released.
We will post kegs available when they are in transit to us.

There will be no more discounts on multiple kegs and no wholesale sales due to the
EXTREME SCARCITY of used kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 02:58:57 am »
I don't know what is included in Pepsi Corporate Western US, but there are still kegs available from Pepsi in WA.  I've picked up a couple of batches totaling more than 500 kegs after they got the "last 800".  Maybe the guy I deal with works for some other "independent Pepsi franchise", but he can still get them.

And for what it's worth, a restaurant near my work still uses them and there's no sign of them switching to bag-in-box.  Bouef.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 06:01:34 am »
You can also try the "Keg Connection".

Not sure if they have the exact part you are looking for but if they don't I'm sure they can get it for you.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Homebrew+Kegs

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:27:25 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:02:30 pm »
How many kegs are floating around? Millions?

Or has many of them ended up at the recyclers...?

Personally, I can't stand bag in a box soda. Never tastes right to me.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:20:11 pm »
What's wrong with the wedge valves? I have kegs with both kinds, and am happy with either one.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:38:05 pm »
What's wrong with the wedge valves? I have kegs with both kinds, and am happy with either one.

Me too. And the advantage to the wedge is that you can leave it open. Beer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:31 am »

Me too. And the advantage to the wedge is that you can leave it open. Beer.
You can leave the ring ones open too, you just turn them so the ring goes across the groove instead of along it.  But then you knew that, didn't you euge?  Didn't you?  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 12:36:36 am »
Yes. But I don't like doing it. Beer.

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 05:53:27 am »

The part where they are falling apart and will not be working much longer.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 07:17:47 am »
I think it's a standard sized threaded port in the lid, so I think you can change styles.  I know I've replaced different types of pressure relief valves with the ring type (my preference).  As I've said before, life is too short to waste good beer by having shoddy kegs.  Keep a selection of miscellaneous parts and replace them the minute they seem dodgy.  Sure, try to clean them first, but if they won't consistently hold pressure, get rid of them.

Unscrew the bad ones, check the threads for gunk (toss it in some PBW to be safe), screw in the new one, and test it out.  Might as well inspect/replace the O-ring while you're at it.

Use whatever type valve you want, as long as it works.  A keg isn't a keg unless it holds pressure.  Otherwise it's just a fancy bucket.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong