Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tamales  (Read 7825 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Tamales
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:31:48 pm »
It's the holiday season. People around these parts make tamales. Today I'm doing pork and will present them to the critics at our xmas dinner.

More to follow!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Tamales
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:23 pm »
Oh man, I love making tamales. I love that premade masa harina dough. We cant get that around here. I have gotten it at the HEB when I have been down there. They had a couple of different brands as I recall. One was made from mote blank. The pazole corn.

I like making naka tamal. They are Nicaraguan Tamales. I think I posted them in the ethnic cooking thread.

We make all kinds of tamales around here including sweet ones. Ever had chocolate tamales. Oh man they are good. They are great made with strawberries or bananas. Almost any fruit will work.

They are great made with sweetened condensed milk and vanilla, those I put a custard in the center.

One of my favorite tamales is lobster tamales. They work great cause you make a lobster stock to make the dough then chop a lot of meat and other stuff for the filling. Makes the lobster go a lot farther.

I have a great tamale magazine from Mexico.Tons of recipes for tamales. One of the more strange ones from the book is Tamales de betebel.

VIVA LA MEXICO!!!
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:07:41 pm »
+1

Great Mexican dish!

When done right of course. I worked as a line cook in a Mexican restaurant many moons ago and we made the greatest tamales on the planet. It's been a long time since I've made them but I think it's about time to give them a whirl once again. I love Mexican food with a passion.

Thanks for the post Euge. :)
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:07:54 pm »
What a coincidence. I was hoping to do some in the next week or two. Talk about timing!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 09:57:42 pm »
I've rolled them up. Got two dozen. These things are crazy easy to make. Will steam for at least an hour then check if done.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »
1.  and we made the greatest tamales on the planet.  
2. I love Mexican food with a passion.

1. Hmm I have a good source of Oaxacan tamales that says otherwise.  ;D
2. Same here; I could eat Japanese, Chinese and Mexican every day. Maybe with a little Turkish, Nepalese/Indian, French thrown in for good measure

Thanks for the post Euge. :)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:04:06 pm »
You realize this post is worthless, without telling us how you did your pork..... ;D

This recipe I got is as follows.....Brown your pork on all sides...and them simmer for 6+ hours covered in water, mixed with adobo sauce, and 2 cans of chipotles. So far, that's the best I have to go on, so I'm gonna go with it.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:14:17 pm »
Aww...Thanks guys. :D

I did the 8 lb pork butt for 17 hours on the BGE with a chile garlic lime injection. Came apart in strands after a rest. Once pulled I only mixed it with coarse salt, fresh cracked pepper and red pepper flakes. Then portioned it out... Sauce can be mixed in as desired

There's no comino but plenty of heat from the fiery salsa. I want to see if leaving it out will be noticed. More pics in an hour or so with the finished tamales. Meanwhile kickin back with a Dundee and Malheur blend... 8)

I'm addicted to Texmex.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:33:40 am »
Ahh just ate four solid tamales. Steamed 2 hours and are gutbustingly delicious. Merry xmas.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 06:50:54 am »
I love tamales but have never made them.  Are they ever made with carnitas?  That's about one of the best things to do to a pig on the planet, but I wondered if you'd be losing some of that intensity by wrapping it in masa.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 06:32:52 pm »
I love tamales!  Those look really good, Euge.  I've done queso fresco and black bean tamales as well as pulled pork ones.

Capp, with all the exotic ingredients you seem to get your hands on, you can't get masa harina or maseca??  There's a phenomenal Mexican grocery really close to where I live.  Next time you need some, let me know and I'll ship some to you.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 07:36:33 pm »
Lots of masa harina. Just not that wet fresh stuff that is in the bag. I have only seen that down near the boarder.

I make great dough with the dry flour. That is really good stuff but that wet stuff is amazing. Makes great tortillas. doesn't stay fresh long. When I ask for it at the Mexican grocery stores around here thats why they say they dont carry it. It has a very short shelf life.

Can you get the fresh masa harina stuff around your way?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 07:56:10 am »
I love tamales  ;D.  I haven't seen the wet stuff here either Cap, and we have quite a large Mexican population here (mushroom farms).  My only problem with tamales is that they are not very healthy for me. :(
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 10:20:37 am »
My colleagues were very complementary of my tamales. Woohoo. Honorary Mexican! Went through 6 dozen plus tacos al pastor, mexican rice, beans, queso etc...

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 02:20:24 pm »
Can you use anything besides corn husks?  I have masa and I can do the rest but I have no idea at all where to find corn husks (except in a corn field).  Banana leaves would be even less likely.  I'm thinking parchment paper etc.  Something I can buy in a Canadian grocery store - tropical ingredients are pretty much non-existent.  We only have masa mix because we have a lot of seasonal labour for harvest.