Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Haze issues with a bag of Maris Otter malt  (Read 15972 times)

Offline davisdandrew

• 1st Kit
Re: Haze issues with a bag of Maris Otter malt
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 10:51:55 pm »
I recently had a haze problem in  a beer brewed with marris otter malt. I brewed a mild (OG 1.037 156f infusion with mashout) and this beer has a very bad permenant haze. I cold lagered the beer in a keg for three + weeks and saw no clarification. I have been all grain brewing for years and have never seen a haze like this. I cant say the malt was the only factor in causing the haze though because I brewed other beers with it that cleared up nicely.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011, 05:17:43 pm »
I have a mild on tap that I used TFMO for the base malt and WLP002 for the yeast.  The beer had a little haze at first but cleared up very well after a few weeks.  I use this malt as a base for most of my ales and have seen haze issues on and off.  I use gelatin if the haze gets on my nerves.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 12:29:51 pm »
I have never used gelatin. How much? and when?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »
I followed the procedure I found in an archived thread (note the usefulness of the SEARCH feature above :)), by 'blooming' one tsp unflavored gelatin in ~8oz water at ~170f degrees - and stir gently into the beer with a sanitized implement. 

Note:  gelatin only works in combination with cold.  I just learned (again through this forum) that gelatin won't clear a beer at room temp.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 06:50:04 pm »
So to resurrect an old thread, I brewed up a bitter yesterday using Crisp Maris Otter. I had lots of dough balls at dough-in, followed by significant protein coagulation by the end of the mash. Runoff was very cloudy, even after roughly double my normal vorlauf. I also noticed a much larger volume of break at the end of the boil. I used Whirlfloc in the boil as I always do. Normally when I brew a 6 gal batch, I get 5.25-5.5 gallons into the fermentor, leaving most of the break material behind. This time I barely made 5 gal. And, of course, the wort was cloudy going into the fermentor. I'll report back after fermentation is complete, but I'll be going out to pick up some gelatin in the meantime.
I kegged this beer a couple days ago, and as expected, it was still a bit hazy, although not as bad as I initially feared. I used WLP005, and based on past experience, it should have been much clearer coming out of the fermentor. I added gelatin to the keg yesterday, so hopefully that clears it up.
Mark Gres

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 07:26:30 pm »
I now have a bag of Baird Pale Malt that happens to be MO (I thought it wasn't) and I selected it for its low protein content. The first beer made with it, an IPA fermented with WLP001, doesn't want to clear either. Am I cursed with getting "hazy" MO malt? I can male beers from Pilsner malt and they drop clear pretty quickly.

Kai

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »
I've had problem with Munton's Maris Otter before, including haze.  
I just concluded that they make crappy malt and spent more time getting better ones. 

Darn it.  I just got 55 lbs of Munton's MO.  Wish I'd read this first.