Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Rules question  (Read 4455 times)

Offline holzbrew

• 1st Kit
NHC Rules question
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:35:41 am »
A few months back I brewed a Belgian dark strong ale and in order to add a bit of fruitiness at bottling time I blended in a single bottle of lindeman's framboise.  would this beer be eligible for submittal into this year's NHC or would it be disqualified due to the blending of a commercial beer with the home brew?

Thanks!

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: NHC Rules question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:35:45 am »
A few months back I brewed a Belgian dark strong ale and in order to add a bit of fruitiness at bottling time I blended in a single bottle of lindeman's framboise.  would this beer be eligible for submittal into this year's NHC or would it be disqualified due to the blending of a commercial beer with the home brew?

Thanks!
Hi Holzbrew,

While it is O.K. to blend beers that you brewed for entry in the National Homebrew Competition (NHC), blending homebrew with a commercial beer is not allowed.  If you read the 2011 NHC Rules and Regulations, on page 5 you will see the Entry Limitations which includes the statement,

"(b) Your homebrew cannot have been brewed on equipment used to brew beverages for any commercial purpose, whether for commercial research, production or any other purpose, including equipment at brew-on-premises establishments."

While your homebrew was not brewed on equipment used to brew beverages for commercial purposes, the Lindeman's was.  If you had blended with your own homebrewed framboise, that would be another story.  Sorry.

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline holzbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »
Janis,

Thanks for the rule interpretation. I didn't think i'd be able to enter it. I've got plenty of other brews to enter this year that are 100 pct home-brewed, so no worries.

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »
Hi Holzbrew,
I'm glad to hear that!  Good luck in the competition!
Cheers,
     Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:33:37 am »
Just stirring the pot a little, how about the folks who use bourbon to soak chips and such. They certainly were not able to make that bourbon at home ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:35:16 am »
Just stirring the pot a little, how about the folks who use bourbon to soak chips and such. They certainly were not able to make that bourbon at home ;)
Or the Chambourde Stout that used to win competitions in Florida years ago.  Should we rescind the medals?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:47:53 am »
Or the Chambourde Stout that used to win competitions in Florida years ago.  Should we rescind the medals?
The AHA doesn't set the rules for Florida competitions :)

The bourbon one though, that's a tricky one.  Of course there's "able" and then there's "allowed".  ;D  I'm looking forward to the answer :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:31 pm »
The AHA doesn't set the rules for Florida competitions :)

The bourbon one though, that's a tricky one.  Of course there's "able" and then there's "allowed".  ;D  I'm looking forward to the answer :)

I think the answer is that plenty of beers with commercial spirits added have been entered and have won awards. In fact, the recipe for the Flanders Red that won Homebrewer of the Year last year lists the addition of commercial Calvados.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 03:02:44 pm »

Did they grow the oak trees for the chips?  Do fruit beer makers grow the fruit they use?

Adding an ingredient is fine, adding a finished commercial beer is not.  This is a stupid comparison.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:04:22 pm by narvin »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:32:01 pm »
I think "additives other than commercial beer are okay" applies here but that's my opinion.

According to the rules on Special Ingredients Instructions on page 6 of the 2011 NHC Rules and Regulations.

Special Ingredients Instructions
Entries in categories 6D, 16E, 17F, 20, 21A, 21B, 22B, 22C, 23, 25C, 26A, 26C, 27E, 28A, 28B, and
28D require Style and/or Special Ingredients information. As a general rule, these ingredients must
play a role in the overall flavor/aroma/mouthfeel of the homebrew. Conversely, a homebrew listed in a
category not requiring special ingredients, should not have any special ingredients listed.
All MEAD entries (categories 24, 25, 26) must include sweetness, carbonation, and strength
information.
All CIDER entries (categories 27, 28) must include sweetness, and carbonation information.
If the required information is not provided, the entry will be disqualified.
Please do not use brand names, or geographic names, or any other proper names of special ingredients.
For example, if you used Premier malt extract, Briess pale malt, Washington apples, Colorado clover
honey, or Sitka spruce tips, only enter malt extract, pale malt, apples, clover honey, or spruce tips,
respectively.
Ron Price

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 09:48:55 pm »

Did they grow the oak trees for the chips?  Do fruit beer makers grow the fruit they use?

Adding an ingredient is fine, adding a finished commercial beer is not.  This is a stupid comparison.

I personally having a hard time drawing the line at "a bottle of cherry lambic is not okay, but a bottle of cherry wine is".

In fact, why don't I enter a cherry wine back sweetened with honey in the other fruit mead category?

Offline Janis

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:42:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

I appreciate your continuing questions regarding the NHC Rules & Regulations.  My answer to Holzbrew still stands because it answers the specific question he asked about his entry.  If any of you have specific questions about your entries for the NHC this year, I would be happy to address them individually and answer them.

The AHA does not have enough people and time (or interest) to police the NHC entry database to disqualify entries based on the special ingredients voluntarily listed.  If you and your conscience are good with the product being your own homebrewed creation, then go ahead and enter it in the competition.  However, be forewarned that the Judging Center site organizers make the calls on disqualifications at their sites based on their own experience with competitions and using the Rules & Regulations for guidance.

I urge those of you who are concerned about this subject to contact the AHA Governing Committee Competition Sub-committee (ahagc-competition@brewersassociation.org) to voice your concerns and the sub-committee will consider your suggestions for next year's NHC Rules & Regulations.  Thanks and good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
    Janis
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 07:18:20 pm »
 This is a stupid comparison.

Actually I was trying to highlight the BOURBON...sorry I didn't make that clear or perhaps it just wasn't clear to you...

narvin

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:00 am »
This is a stupid comparison.

Actually I was trying to highlight the BOURBON...sorry I didn't make that clear or perhaps it just wasn't clear to you...

Understood... but this isn't a bourbon making competition.  Adding other ingredients can be okay, but adding a beer you didn't brew is not.  

I'm sorry, Mike, stupid was the wrong choice of words.  I just thought you were "stirring the pot" with a bad analogy.

Cheers... no hard feelings I hope.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 06:15:55 pm »
None at all, just making sure that was the case. ;)

My point was the rules poo poo on adding commercial beer or brewing on commercial equipment, yet people add all sorts of spirits and it seems to pass muster. I'm not picking on the NHC, it happens with many competitions. It just seems odd to me that one beverage is acceptable and another is not...