Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good headphones?  (Read 3579 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Good headphones?
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:11:17 pm »
I'm looking for some good casual headphones.  Not studio monitors with giant ear cups, just something for an iPod or cell phone (honestly?  The cell phone has FAR better audio quality, having used the same $20 Sony headphones with both).

jaybeerman

Re: Good headphones?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:23:46 pm »
I only use the kind with the big ear cups and I've not tried any of these but I'm familiar with the brands (look toward the bottom of the page and the second page).  cheers, j

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=41

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:35:12 pm »
how much are you wanting to spend???
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:46:49 pm »
Dude, I use Skull Candy. For 20$ you cannot beat the quality. Sharp highs, and tight bass. Best money I spent on cheap headphones.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:02:38 pm »
Sony MDR 7506...what the pros use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:08:38 pm »
I use some cheap ones but I got them for the volume control directly on the cord - it's too much of a pain to quickly turn the volume up and down with an ipod in my pocket.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:40 pm »

those are great, but probably bigger than he wants.

i like these.....

http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/zino.html

and these.....

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/headphones

(they make a few smaller ones for personal use.)

i have both ultrasones as well as sennheisers, but i have the bigger ones that dj's use.  i also have some smaller sennheisers that sound great, but are dated and not on that site.

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:47:56 pm »

those are great, but probably bigger than he wants.

i like these.....

http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/zino.html

and these.....

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/headphones

(they make a few smaller ones for personal use.)

i have both ultrasones as well as sennheisers, but i have the bigger ones that dj's use.  i also have some smaller sennheisers that sound great, but are dated and not on that site.

The 7506 isn't any bigger than the picture you posted, by the looks.  The ultrasones look good, though.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:56:05 pm »
When I play on stage at a church, I sometimes have to use in-ear monitors, and they have decently high end ones, that at least cost a lot of money.  I personally hate those things, and I've started using cheap earbuds that probably are 30 cents in parts cost.  Its funny and a bit ironic, but I hear everything so much better and play better with the crap earphones!  :D

But on stage monitoring is different than music listening or studio monitoring, I actually want to hear the outside sound, which fills in the gaps of what I may not be hearing in my monitor mix.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 04:05:44 pm »
If you use in ears, you should get a room mic mixed in for your monitor mix.  Makes a world of difference.  I guess you've already discovered the ultimate pragmatic solution, though.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 04:35:17 pm »
Other people love them, I hate them, so I'm an odd duck...I also hate how far they go into the ear, so the cheapies are a two-bird, one-stone thing.

Generally though I run the monitor output to a small powered wedge and I'm happy!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:04:23 pm »
Generally though I run the monitor output to a small powered wedge and I'm happy!

As long as there's no vocal mic nearby, the audio engineer probably won't kill you!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:19:50 pm »
I'm a fan of Senn's. If I can con someone into buying them, then I'll typically try and get some grado's.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 09:07:47 pm »

As long as there's no vocal mic nearby, the audio engineer probably won't kill you!  ;)

Haha, they have admirable self restraint.  But I'm within feet of a ragingly loud drum kit and my 4x10 pumps out a goodish deal (and when I'm doing fretless, I like lots of mids and highs so I can play in tune!), so my little wedge monitor is the least of their concerns.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 03:07:16 am »
My favorite by FAR are the Sony MDR-something in-ear with the NECKLACE style cable - that's the one with one earbud cable shorter than the other - you put the longer one around the back of your neck, perfect for keeping a cable from hanging around.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!