Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: C02 tank and force carbonating  (Read 5715 times)

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
C02 tank and force carbonating
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:27:24 pm »
Ok my keezer is setup and going

If sanitzed everything and my beer is in the corney keg.

1.) How do I set the CO2 tank? Ive already put teflon on all the fittings and the regulator is on. The gas hose is connected to the manifold and a gas line from the manifold to the keg which is securily seated. Now what?

2.) How do I force carbonate properly?

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
Re: C02 tank and force carbonating
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:32:46 pm »
Let it sit brotha... Go down to Blue Star or Freetail and enjoy a great beer. Give this one a week or two. That's how I do it. I rarely do the shake method. I have enough beer on tap to let it rest, carb and settle out al on it's own.

EDIT to add: I keep my whole bar set to 12 psi 24/7. I have no leaks as I won't stand for them. It takes a good week to really carb up nicely for me...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:35:31 pm by lonnie mac »

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:26:08 pm »
Set it and forget it is how I roll. Check here for temps and pressures to hit your desired carb level. Usually 7-10 days for me.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:44:32 pm »
I usually have beer already serving in the lineup so I also apply the set-it and forget-it methodology.

However if you are in a hurry you can set your CO2 pressure to about 30 psi for two days and check the carbonation level at that point. It may need to be tweaked but I have found that pressure and time to work pretty well for most ales and lagers.

There is a relationship between the temperature of the beer and the pressure of CO2 applied. These two components will give you a specific volume of CO2 in your beer. I like to apply 12-14psi at 40F for my American Ales using the set-it and forget-it method.
Ron Price

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:03:18 pm »
So you guys turn on the CO2 to the desired setting and leave it on for days? How does the gas escape the corny?

Im thinking I may have a c02 leak somewhere, trying to figure it out. May be the corney keg itself..

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:12:54 pm »
How does the gas escape the corny?

It isn't supposed to escape unless your tap is open and your glass is collecting beer.

I do have to also say, you are an industrious person....it took me a couple of weeks to put all of my components together, even after taking a couple of months collecting the stuff on Craigslist....and then it still took me a couple more weeks to both brew and buy a commercial craft beer to try it out.

Got pics?

Oh, and last thing, I didn't use any teflon tape on my gas or beer hose....no leaks.  I kind of remember somewhere it saying it was unnecessary.  Perhaps I am heading for a leak.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »
How does the gas escape the corny?

It isn't supposed to escape unless your tap is open and your glass is collecting beer.

I do have to also say, you are an industrious person....it took me a couple of weeks to put all of my components together, even after taking a couple of months collecting the stuff on Craigslist....and then it still took me a couple more weeks to both brew and buy a commercial craft beer to try it out.

Got pics?

Oh, and last thing, I didn't use any teflon tape on my gas or beer hose....no leaks.  I kind of remember somewhere it saying it was unnecessary.  Perhaps I am heading for a leak.

Thanks! I really take that as a compliment. Ive been called a hard worker in the past, but never industrious.Ive been at since 4pm after I got off of work and im tired.  Ive taken many pics which will be posted tommorow on my keezer thread.

I solved the leak I could here, it was the gasket on the ball valve. That was a easy fix. I think that solved it and there are not anymore leaks but we shall see.

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:34:14 am »
Got up this morning and looked at the LowPressure gauge and it has dropped over night. Im pretty sure that meens I have a leak somewhere. Time for some more tinkering.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 07:55:15 am »
Get or make some leak detector solution. I've heard a Star San solution works. You can also make your own with some water and dishwashing liquid. Spray on, look for the bubbles...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 08:21:05 am »
The low pressure gauge I know is to set the pressure for my beer, which I know how to do. Is the high pressure gauge simply to tell me how much gas is left in the tank, if so ive already used up my gas because the needles in the red? Damn leak!

going to take some more soapy water to the fittings
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:26:45 am by rayallen »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:27 am »
The low pressure gauge I know is to set the pressure for my beer, which I know how to do. Is the high pressure gauge simply to tell me how much gas is left in the tank, if so ive already used up my gas because the needles in the red? Damn leak!

Wait.  If you are carbonating the beer, the pressure shown on the keg will drop as the gas is absorbed into the liquid.  Once it is saturated to the point you want, then it will maintain pressure on the gauge.  The first (primary) gauge on the tank will show about the same pressure, depending on the temperature, until the tank is almost empty.
Edit: The first part I just posted assumes that the tank valve was not turned on.  If the tank was open and the second gauge is now zero, then your tank is most likely empty and you have a leak.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:24:28 am by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:32 am »
Ok my keezer is setup and going

If sanitzed everything and my beer is in the corney keg.

1.) How do I set the CO2 tank? Ive already put teflon on all the fittings and the regulator is on. The gas hose is connected to the manifold and a gas line from the manifold to the keg which is securily seated. Now what?

2.) How do I force carbonate properly?

Here's some of the best kegging info I've run across.  I followed these instructions when I started kegging 10 years ago and had great success.

http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Soda-Kegs
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:26:05 am »
 If you are carbonating the beer, the pressure shown on the keg Co2 tank(high pressure gauge) will drop as the gas is absorbed into the liquid. The first (primary) low pressure gauge on the tank will show about the same pressure, depending on the temperature, until the tank is almost empty.

edit for clarity
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:32:43 am by maxieboy »

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 12:20:27 pm »

If your high pressure gauge has dropped to zero, you're outta gas... Get your tank refilled and start over with leak testing. I suggest Star-San. It foams like crazy at the leak, and you won't have soapy residue all over your kegging equipment to clean up later. Good luck!
Mark Gres

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 12:32:50 pm »
Not at zero yet, but im going to go ahead and refill the tank. I think I solved the leak, its been sitting steady at 13psi for a few hours.

Cheers!