Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hot ‘n Bothered Beer Mustard  (Read 22694 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Hot ‘n Bothered Beer Mustard
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:14:30 am »
Ok, so I'm checking the pantry and getting together the ingredients for my Hot ‘n Bothered Beer Mustard. Will get all the necessaries this week, start the seeds soaking next Friday, and make the batch on Sunday. Thought I'd share the recipe with y'all. I know most of you like good mustard, and it's pretty expensive to buy small jars of quality mustard.

Mustard is easy, really forgiving of recipe changes. The following is a good base but I change it up on impulse or vary spicing considerably. It's always good, just a bit different. These days, I always use both habaneros & fresh ground horseradish. Spices? Haven't decided yet, probably won't till I'm doing it.

The following makes a pretty good sized batch, but I'll be multiplying everything by four next week. Just make sure to have adequate small jars to put it in. Makes great gifts, always appreciated. Oh, and use it to make some vinaigrette, you won't buy salad dressing after you see how easy & delicious it is (not to mention healthy).

Hot ‘n Bothered Beer Mustard

Ingredients:
1 Cup Brown Mustard Seed
1/4  Cup Yellow Mustard Seed
1 Cup Dark Homebrewed Beer
1.5 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1 Cup Mustard Powder –combine with 1 cup water, let sit 20 min
1 Teaspoon Salt
1Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Allspice
1/4  Teaspoon Tumeric
1/4  Teaspoon Mace

Optional -
habanero and/or other peppers
fresh horse radish
whisky
??? be creative

Combine mustard seeds with beer and vinegar in a non-reactive container (stainless, ceramic, plastic). Seal, let sit 48 hours, stirring occasionally, and adding more liquid if necessary. Often needs to be topped up a bit as the seeds soak up a lot of liquid as they soften. Top with either vinegar or beer, or some whisky (use something decent, not the best or cheapest in your cabinet).
Transfer seeds and liquid to a food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth, about 5 minutes. If you like grainy mustard (of course you do!), reserve some of the seeds for addition later in the processing.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hot ‘n Bothered Beer Mustard
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:27 am »
Thanks, Mark!  I've been thinking about making mustard and this is the push I needed!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:04:24 am »
That looks like a really good recipe. I am a big fan of Inglehoffer stone ground mustard and this recipe has sparked my interest as well.

Thanks for posting the recipe!
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 11:48:31 am »
I made some mustard last weekend and it wasn't very good. This recipe looks a lot better. Thanks.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:38:18 pm »
Thanks Mark, i need to make some mustard soon, I'll give this one a try.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:35:49 am »
I am a big fan of Inglehoffer stone ground mustard

SO GOOD.

This combined with the Serious Eats post about basic yellow mustard has me wanting to make pretzels and mustard next weekend.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:37:30 am »
I am a big fan of Inglehoffer stone ground mustard

SO GOOD.

This combined with the Serious Eats post about basic yellow mustard has me wanting to make pretzels and mustard next weekend.

Here's the _classic_ pretzel recipe from our very own Jeff Renner....

http://aabg.org/2010/03/22/jeff-renners-pretzel-recipe/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:29:31 am »
So do you have to can this if you make a lot? or is it fridge stable more or less indefinitly? (pardon the spelling this PC has no spell check!)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:04:46 pm »
So do you have to can this if you make a lot? or is it fridge stable more or less indefinitly? (pardon the spelling this PC has no spell check!)

No, canning is not necessary. It'll keep in the fridge for a long time. That's why I'm taking the recipe I posted & multiplying all ingredients by 4 to make a huge batch. I don't like mayonaisse at all, and use ketchup only sparingly (gotta have it on fries!). So I go through a lot of mustard, plus it makes great gifts. The problem with that is once I give a jar to someone, I can pretty much count they'll be back asking for more.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

jaybeerman

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:10:16 am »
Mark, do you have any thoughts on using various types of vinegar?  Cider vs. White Wine vs. etc?  A few days before your post I was contemplating this recipe and one with beer/thyme.  I ended up going with the beer/thyme recipe which is delicious, but too mellow.  I'm guessing that the additional brown seed is the lacking part of my recipe?  More experimentation to follow.  Here's a copy of the recipe I went with (no idea where it originated).  Cheers, j

1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
3/4 cup homebrewed Porter
2 Tablespoons mustard flour (mortar pestle - yellow mustard seeds)
1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:18:04 am »
I've only used white wine vinegar. I'm guessing that any good vinegar would work. Probably a bit different in character but no reason it shouldn't work. I like using lots of brown mustard seed, plus horseradish & habaneros. No danger of too 'mellow' then. I've varied my basic recipe a bit depending on what ingredients I had on hand. It's always come out good, but somewhat different. The recipe I posted always seems to get good response from those that try it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 11:47:05 pm »
I have long been a fan of the national mustard museum they have stuff that
is beyond hard to locate.  here is a link to the habanero page and I am sure
we could glean some ideas from the pages on this site.

My favorite is "Mister Mustard"....nice n spicy hot
Edit: but I see that my favorite, true to form is currently not available from them.
http://store.mustardmuseum.com/category/s?keyword=habanero

Edit again: I may have the last 2 jars of "Mister Mustard" on the planet....
Thanks for the recipe tumarkin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:33:21 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 04:54:38 pm »
Here is northern california there is a winery called Hop Kiln that has a huge variety of mustards and pepper jellies etc in the tasting room. After a flight of nice Russian river chards and pinots you can taste all the yummy mustards on pretzles.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 05:28:56 pm »
Here is northern california there is a winery called Hop Kiln that has a huge variety of mustards and pepper jellies etc in the tasting room. After a flight of nice Russian river chards and pinots you can taste all the yummy mustards on pretzles.

Hey, I've been there!  I don't remember any mustard, but the historic building was way cool.  I think its called an Oast House.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 05:18:44 am »
I'm resurrecting this old thread. I've been contemplating some homemade mustard, but with a less is more approach. Maybe just yellow, brown and vinegar. I do see some using mustard powder, is it somehow different than taking the seeds to dust?
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!