Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Japan quake  (Read 25760 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Japan quake
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:28:41 am »
 :o

Conflicting reports of 8.4 - 8.9 magnitude.  Live coverage of the tsunami on the news, moving cars being swept away . . . fires burning everywhere.  Bad bad bad.

<edit> Are you hearing the tsunami sirens yet punatic?

<edit2> Wat's worse than a tsunami?  A tsunami filled with flaming debris . . .
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:56:59 am by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Japan quake
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:14:10 am »
I just flicked it over to watch Piers Morgan. Holy Cow! Buildings swept away...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:19:06 am »
Neighborhoods swept away, entire towns it looks like.  A boat on the leading edge drifting across farmland, it had to be more than a mile inland.  They're saying 8.9 now.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:43:20 am »
Life in Hawaii is never dull!

Eruptions to the left of me, tsunamis to the right...  Not meaning to jinx it, but what next... a major earthquake?

Sorry for the delayed response.  Been calling all of my nearshore friends. Tsunami party at Punatic's house tonight. We are 5 miles inland at 375ft. msl and have lots of spare beds and bedrolls.

The tsunami sirens are erie. Robo-calls coming from Hawaii County Civil Defense.  The mid-ocean buoys are registering a harbor wave coming this way.  Everyone is being evacuated from the tsunami zones.  ETA Puna 3:35AM HST (13:35 UTC)

No worries.  It's all good here.  

Pray for the people in Japan.  Serious s*** happened there.  
8.9 magnitude is monster.

Did I mention the sirens are really creepy?  Chicken skin kine stuffs...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:05:34 am »
Those tsunami's are wild looking from the air. I'd hate to be caught up in all of that crushing mass of debri. Three story walls of water. Hope the casualties remain low.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:08:13 am by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:13:34 am »
Glad you're at elevation punatic - I just hope your homebrew supply holds out :)

I hope this one turns out to be as much of a non-event in HI as last year's.  They've already issued tsunami watches for the OR and WA coasts.

Looking at the devastation, I can't believe there are only 5 deaths reported so far.  It's fortunate the Japanese build to withstand these things.  Crossing fingers . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:28:58 am »
Just think... There's gonna be other places impacted this time. By the time we wake up it'll have happened in places like the Philippines.

Soon in fact!

Offline punatic

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:33:21 am »
Tsunami warnings up for US mainland west coast.  

Cowabunga - surf's up!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:35:23 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:51:22 am »
Yeah, I saw that, they keep saying the warning extends "North to Seattle" but Seattle is really sheltered.  I have minor concerns (enough to make sure my inlaws are in Portland and not Manzanita) but it's wait and see.  It looks like the conference hotel is 5 miles inland, so that should be ok, right? :)  I guess we'll know more when it passes Hawaii.

By the way, I heard a 4.6 hit the south flank of Kilauea . . .

Going to bed shortly, enjoy your house guests :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:03:27 am »
I made a bit of a Godzilla joke earlier and am feeling bad about tweeting it now. But oh well. Watched the waves roll in this morning, how crazy is that.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:00:30 am »
Life in Hawaii is never dull!

Eruptions to the left of me, tsunamis to the right...  Not meaning to jinx it, but what next... a major earthquake?

Sorry for the delayed response.  Been calling all of my nearshore friends. Tsunami party at Punatic's house tonight. We are 5 miles inland at 375ft. msl and have lots of spare beds and bedrolls.

The tsunami sirens are erie. Robo-calls coming from Hawaii County Civil Defense.  The mid-ocean buoys are registering a harbor wave coming this way.  Everyone is being evacuated from the tsunami zones.  ETA Puna 3:35AM HST (13:35 UTC)

No worries.  It's all good here.  

Pray for the people in Japan.  Serious s*** happened there.  
8.9 magnitude is monster.

Did I mention the sirens are really creepy?  Chicken skin kine stuffs...
Good thing you're at some elevation. 8.9... that's a big one. The footage is pretty scary from what I've seen.
Mark Gres

Offline punatic

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:12 am »
Waxing up the longboard...  
Outside!

Seriuosly though, got a huse full of refugees.  Sirens going off.  Yes, I did jinx it too.  There's been a series of small earthquakes center in Kalapana on the east rift of Kilauea.  The biggest bump so far was a 4.6 magnitude.  Four orders of magnitude smaller than what just hit Japan.  Could mean the lava is moving down rift from the Kamoamoa eruption towards Kapoho and Kumukahi.  No sign of any lava in any of the eruption web cams.  Pele's gone underground.  Let's hope she's hiding from the tsunami; not heading for Kapoho...

The tsunami should be reaching Ni'ihau and Kauai right about now.  It is due here in about a half hour.

Those tsunami sirens are very creepy.  Remind me of the nuclear war drills when I was little.

My mead and Very Old Dark Kilauea Ale are very popular at the party here tonight.  The sirens are really working on everybody's nerves.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 08:44:34 am »
I just saw the news ....  hang on Punatic!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:13:37 am »
my wife has lost contact with a good friend in japan.
when i lived in hawaii, we were always kind of hoping (sick right) for this so we could take the submarine out to sea without the captain on board.
God bless everyone in harm's way
Don AHA member

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 10:45:06 am »
Looking at the devastation, I can't believe there are only 5 deaths reported so far.  It's fortunate the Japanese build to withstand these things.

The one headline we won't see out of alll of this mess is "Millions saved by engineering and government building codes". It's amazing what can be done when you combine resources with actual legal enforcement of things. Think about it, here in LA where we have a bunch of old buildings that were exempted from standards or improperly retrofitted, we got hit by a 6.7 in 94 and loss ~33 people. There are still places being retrofitted from that damn quake.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison