Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Japan quake  (Read 26046 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Japan quake
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011, 11:39:50 am »
Hopefully any "fallout" will end up in the Pacific before it blows over the US mainland or any islands. I'm more fearful of alpha and beta than gamma so would like to see that stuff in the ocean than on human skin, crops or living enviromments.

That's pretty much backwards, actually. Alphas are high-energy, but most of that is tied up in their mass (~4 amu). They can't even penetrate skin. Plus most of the major alpha emitters are transuranics, so there's limited potential for uptake into the ecosystem. Betas are a little bit more of a concern, but most of the emitters (with the notable exception of Sr-90) are prompt sources, so by this point they've already been through a couple half-lives and are falling off. The major sources of radiation in nuclear fuel are the long-lived fission products like Cs-137, which tend to be gamma emitters. They have half-lives of a few decades, and limited potential for chemical toxicity, so they tend to wind up in the environment.

I'll take your word for it...  ;D

Alpha and beta particles will deposit more energy directly into your body with alpha's being far the worse of the two, especially if they are ingested. Gamma rays are also very dangerous but they range in energy and (mostly) will pass through the body depending on energy level. Hopefully the source isn't inside the body from ingested isotopes. The main thing is of course, that that they all are forms of ionizing radiation, and exposure to be avoided if possible. Gamma is something all humans deal with on a daily basis. Personally, I think they are a factor in aging.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »
Alpha and beta particles will deposit more energy directly into your body with alpha's being far the worse of the two, especially if they are ingested. Gamma rays are also very dangerous but they range in energy and (mostly) will pass through the body depending on energy level. Hopefully the source isn't inside the body from ingested isotopes. The main thing is of course, that that they all are forms of ionizing radiation, and exposure to be avoided if possible. Gamma is something all humans deal with on a daily basis. Personally, I think they are a factor in aging.

It's all dangerous. Alpha is "more dangerous" because it can land on crops and be ingested. My understanding (theoretical physics background) is that gamma, because they're of such a higher energy they're much more likely to just pass through something, and therefore are an external cause of radiation sickness. Alpha is internal, but can also be a problem externally - see the recent hubub about the new full-body x-ray scanners in airports. But still - if there happens to be a gamma ray burst in our stellar neighborhood, we're all toast.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 12:34:34 pm »
Yes, primarily it'd be in the atom-splitting range (see Pair Production) and we'd most likely receive full body doses. Be dead in a few days if not sooner.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 01:02:59 pm »
But still - if there happens to be a gamma ray burst in our stellar neighborhood, we're all toast.
Or we're all Hulk.

Yes, primarily it'd be in the atom-splitting range (see Pair Production) and we'd most likely receive full body doses. Be dead in a few days if not sooner.
Pessimist.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 01:06:16 pm »
alpha particles (think doubly ionized helium atoms) do carry a fair amount of energy but in general unless they are inhaled or ingested they are not a concern. they won't penetrate a piece of paper.  now if you ingest or have trapped in your lungs etc a particle that as it decays emits alpha, that would suck, however, alpha emitters are not likely to be throughout environment. yeah gamma particles have high energy and pass through the body very little you can do to shield and this represents most of the radiation that reactor operators on operating plants are exposed to from a reactor itself.  though they pass through the body their high energy rips the hell out of your cells. i was a former nuclear submarine officer and worked in the civilian nuclear industry before getting tired of it and changing careers.  i don't think the physics changed when i left.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2011, 01:09:14 pm »
But still - if there happens to be a gamma ray burst in our stellar neighborhood, we're all toast.
Or we're all Hulk.

Pessimist.

As I tell my colleagues: I'm not a pessimist- I just see the negative possibilities... ;D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2011, 01:23:03 pm »
Or we're all Hulk.

Pessimist.

As I tell my colleagues: I'm not a pessimist- I just see the negative possibilities... ;D
;D I actually laughed out loud at that one.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2011, 01:28:22 pm »
You should see them squint at me when I say that. LOL.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »
pessimist, optomist..... I've had enough of this glass half full/glass half empty nonsense. the real question is..... is that beer in the glass?
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »

Now would that be eyes half closed or half open?  :D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2011, 03:20:21 pm »
Or we're all Hulk.

Pessimist.

So, would a pessimist made out of antimatter actually be an optimist?

An optometrist should be able to take care of that squint… (reading too many x-rays?)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »

Actually Euge you're what I call a realist. Seeing all possibilities and taking them for what they're worth.

The latest report indicated that there's a small group of technicians still at the facility trying to get things under control as most employees have abandoned the site. I just hope that the remaining techs don't abandon ship. This would present a dire situation.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2011, 04:19:46 pm »
pessimist, optomist..... I've had enough of this glass half full/glass half empty nonsense. the real question is..... is that beer in the glass?
Some would say the glass is half full while other would say it's half empty.  An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2011, 04:27:06 pm »
It looks like nuclear power is pretty dangerous.  I've been thinking and came up with an idea:

Make a really long pipe.  One that stretches from the ground up into outer space.  At one end you have a vacuum, at the other end you've got 1 atmosphere of pressure.  A 14.7 psi of pressure differential... Voila!  instant vacuum cleaner.

Now you will have wind inside the pipe so you can install wind turbines in there to generate electricity.  Put the 1 atmosphere end next to the leaking reactors and you can suck all of the radioactive compounds right out into space while at the same time generating power to make up for the lost generation capacity from the nuclear reactors!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2011, 04:51:49 pm »
Yeah, but then Klatu will send down Gort with instructions to wipe us out for contaminating space with our radiation.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us