Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dumping Beer  (Read 7457 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Dumping Beer
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:56 am »
I was going to ask if incense and holy beer was administered...

Actually, the incense is used during the brewing process itself.

Not kidding... I burn a stick of prayer incense every time I start a batch of brew. No particular reason except I have an imperial assload of it and now it's a tradition.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 09:09:31 am »
So mt question is this. Is it against brew code or anger the brew gods to dump homebrew? Should I feel guilty about dumping beer? Under what circumstabces is it alright?

Of course it's all right to dump it.  I've dumped batches that went off.  I've dumped batches I just didn't like...like a with that I had around for 9 months before deciding that I just didn't enjoy it.  The idea behind brewing is to enjoy what you do and what you make.  If you have to force yourself to drink something, you're negating the reason you brew.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:30 am »
What I also meant do you have any superstitions? Any humorous view points on hr subjectr

I have had no problem dumping in the past.

you can only polish a turd for so long. eventually you'll realize it's just a nice looking piece of poo

The only requirement is find a creative way to dump

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 09:37:25 am »
That is a awesome way to get rid of it lol.

reminds me of a batch of rootbeer i made last year. I made it with champagne yeast and totally forgot about them until one exploded in the closet so we took all of them and were throwing them against the ground some exploded and sounded like dry ice bombs and the others took off like estes rockets. I have video
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 09:48:30 am »
Gives new meaning to the term "Bottle Rockets" :)
Joe

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 11:02:37 am »
There's no shame in dumping beer. The shame is in drinking bad beer or trying to pawn it off on someone else. Even beer that is not infected can turn out bad, failed experiments in techniques and ingredients and such. As denny likes to quote "you only have one liver, destroy it wisely."

What he said!

I just had my first dumping in such a longtime I can't recall the last time.

Note to self, a sour saison is hard to make taste good, melting your tongue & teeth with nail polish is not  good beer.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 11:43:56 am »
Last month I dumped around 20 gallons of infected beer from 4 kegs.  Most were several years old.  I just couldn't brin myself to dump them....I tasted each one before making the decision.  Now I have lots of clean empty kegs.  :)

A fifth keg, a sour baltic porter from 2006...actually tasted quite good.  So I am calling it "18th century London porter" now, and it is a classic.   ;)

Regarding giving it to bums....many years ago, I bought a couple of flats of Concord grapes from the farmers market, and made a pyment with them.  The resulting beverage tasted like Welch's grape juice spiked with Everclear.  Yuck.

I took a case of it down to a local park that is near the homeless shelter, where bums are often found.  I left a note in the box that read:  "Homemade wine.  I don't like it, but thought someone with a thirst might."  When I drove by the park later that day, the case was gone.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 12:13:48 pm »
There's nothing wrong with dumping. Wise to wait but eventually one has to make a decision. Don't like it? Out like yesterday's bad news.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 12:24:39 pm »
A fifth keg, a sour baltic porter from 2006...actually tasted quite good.  So I am calling it "18th century London porter" now, and it is a classic.   ;)

Now that's pragmatic!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jaybeerman

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 12:56:19 pm »
yes, first rule is don't dump a beer before it makes it all the way through fermentation.  second rule, if it's bad go ahead and dump it, as long as you know what went wrong (otherwise drink it until you figure out the issue or issues).  there's always the option to use the "measure twice, cut once" mentality (i.e. do your research, read up first then brew) but then you'd be a "grumpy" (anal) brewer like me.

Honestly I'm feeling left out, perhaps my recipes aren't radical enough to be dumped every now and then.  But hey...I did just burn the hair off my arm trying to flame some foil. Does this count?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 01:44:23 pm »
But hey...I did just burn the hair off my arm trying to flame some foil. Does this count?
Nope, only if the foil was on your head would it count.  ;) Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

jaybeerman

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »
Nope, only if the foil was on your head would it count.  ;) Cheers!!!
[/quote]

the kitchen stinks of burnt hair and i still don't belong...damn!  :)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »
I once made a spruce beer that had it not been for my gin loving friend Gino, would have been dumped. The only batch I've made that I didn't really enjoy. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 02:47:18 pm »
I made this very same beer.  It was pine sol and had to be dumped.  Even after a second, non-spruce batch for blending.  Simply undrinkable.  Lesson = moderation in spruce or other spices, always.

This was one of the very first batches I made, perhaps the first.

I saved a few bottles for many years and it did not improve.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 02:51:12 pm »
I once made a spruce beer that had it not been for my gin loving friend Gino, would have been dumped. The only batch I've made that I didn't really enjoy. 
Worst.
Beer.
Ever.

Been there, dumped that!
Member #: 900000767