Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dumping Beer  (Read 7347 times)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Dumping Beer
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:28:14 am »
So mt question is this. Is it against brew code or anger the brew gods to dump homebrew? Should I feel guilty about dumping beer? Under what circumstabces is it alright?
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Dumping Beer
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:41:59 am »
I just dumped about 3 gallons of homebrew because while it was "drinkable" it was certainly not enjoyable. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. If you don't like it, don't force yourself to drink it, because then it goes from being an enjoyable hobby to An Annoying Commitment.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 04:25:38 am »
If it's bad then you might want to dump it.  You can always brew up another batch.  On the other hand, sometimes all a beer needs is a little more time.  Don't dump prematurely.

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:37 am »
back when I earned my living as a potter, I was told not to worry about breaking something. after all, it's only mud. you might say, hey it's only beer. but....... as said, don't dump prematurely. there are many stories about beer that was 'undrinkable' but given time turned out not just drinkable but fantastic. give it time, you may be pleasantly surprised what happens.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 04:43:59 am »
There's no shame in dumping beer. The shame is in drinking bad beer or trying to pawn it off on someone else. Even beer that is not infected can turn out bad, failed experiments in techniques and ingredients and such. As denny likes to quote "you only have one liver, destroy it wisely."

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:51:42 am »
What I also meant do you have any superstitions? Any humorous view points on hr subjectr

I have had no problem dumping in the past.

you can only polish a turd for so long. eventually you'll realize it's just a nice looking piece of poo
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 05:37:11 am »
You can always put it in a soda bottle and give it to the town bum.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 06:18:45 am »
I had to dump a whole carboy of soured beer many moons ago and it was painful but I learned a valuable lesson from it. They grow malt, hops and yeast everyday...so it's time to learn from your mistake and brew more beer. The beer gods will be happy.  8)
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 06:34:02 am »
Just like the leading reason in Texas for murder is "needed killing" [I'm serious; I heard this on the radio once], the leading reason for dumping beer is "needed dumping."  If you're not going to drink it and don't feel that it's good enough to let other people drink, then by all means dump it.  Otherwise, it's just taking up serving space that could be used for good beer.

No shame in dumping beer that needs to be dumped.  Didn't you watch "Brewmasters"?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:50:25 am »
When I dump beer (mostly due to age issues cause I can't drink nearly as much of it as I brew) - I say a little prayer to each of the barley husks that I shredded to make that beer. I thank the rain drops that fell tear like to eventually wind up in my kettle. I thank the hops for surviving downy mildew to become the bite of my brew. I thank the gluttonous little bastard yeast cells who spored, burped and peed in my suds.

And then I spray the keg out with hot water and go about my business.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:55:56 am »
When I dump beer (mostly due to age issues cause I can't drink nearly as much of it as I brew) - I say a little prayer to each of the barley husks that I shredded to make that beer. I thank the rain drops that fell tear like to eventually wind up in my kettle. I thank the hops for surviving downy mildew to become the bite of my brew. I thank the gluttonous little bastard yeast cells who spored, burped and peed in my suds.

Do you face East when you do this? ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:44:57 am »

I was going to ask if incense and holy beer was administered to bless the beer during it's last rights before it passes on to be judged by the almighty beer Gods.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 08:01:59 am »

I was going to ask if incense and holy beer was administered to bless the beer during it's last rights before it passes on to be judged by the almighty beer Gods.  ;)

Sorry dude, submission deadline was a few weeks ago. Judging's already over! Try again next year. And don't forget the beer gods don't accept 750ml submissions.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:37 am »
You can always put it in a soda bottle and give it to the town bum.....
I've done something similar to this before.  I had some beer that turned out slightly off, I didn't want to drink it.  It wasn't horrible or anything.  But I have a friend who just gets by with his job, buys cheap ass crappy beer to get drunk.  So I gave him some of mine that I didn't want.  He was very appreciative, thought it was good.  Like Keith said, there's some shame in giving your bad beer away, but it worked out well for everyone in this case.
Jesse

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 08:38:12 am »

I believe you face the brew kettle, wack it like a gong with your mash paddle 3 times then end with "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew". 
AHA Lifetime Member