Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What does "dropped bright" mean  (Read 6524 times)

Offline spydad45

• 1st Kit
What does "dropped bright" mean
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »
I am dry hopping a double IPA and the directions say to add the hops after my beer has "dropped bright"
The Sun has left us on time.-Thomas Edison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: What does "dropped bright" mean
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:52:37 pm »
I am dry hopping a double IPA and the directions say to add the hops after my beer has "dropped bright"

When the beer has cleared in the fermenter. You don't want the yeast coating the hops as release their goodness into the beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:16:38 am »

When the beer has cleared in the fermenter. You don't want the yeast coating the hops as release their goodness into the beer.
And for that matter, you don't want the hoppy goodness coating the yeast as it falls out of solution.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline spydad45

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 07:22:43 am »
Thanks, that's sort of what I thought.
The Sun has left us on time.-Thomas Edison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 08:12:42 am »
Some folks like to add the dry hops during the final stage of primary ferment (90%) to allow the yeast to scrub out any residual undesireables like O2 introduced upon dry hop, allthough I like to dry hop in the keg. Dropping bright is the point of complete primary fermentation when the beer is clear and ready for racking or bottling. The majority of the yeast has dropped out of suspension and active fermentation has ceased.
Ron Price

Offline sailortodd

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:39:02 pm »
Some folks like to add the dry hops during the final stage of primary ferment (90%) to allow the yeast to scrub out any residual undesireables like O2 introduced upon dry hop, allthough I like to dry hop in the keg. Dropping bright is the point of complete primary fermentation when the beer is clear and ready for racking or bottling. The majority of the yeast has dropped out of suspension and active fermentation has ceased.
I'm guessing dry hopping in the keg just keeps more of the hop aroma around, gives it less time to dissipate?

Had a question in the lines of dry hopping... I dry hop when the beer "drops bright" or at least when most activity has stopped since I'm still using plastic and don't see it clear up. I've read a couple of threads (on HBT) with discussions of racking to secondary, and many insisted that dry hopping was one of those times it was important, even if they were against a secondary for clarity, etc. Is there really much to gain from racking to a secondary container/fermenter to dry hop? Or is it just as effective to dry hop in the primary container?
Beer: so much more than just a breakfast drink.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:21:41 am »
I'm guessing dry hopping in the keg just keeps more of the hop aroma around, gives it less time to dissipate?

Had a question in the lines of dry hopping... I dry hop when the beer "drops bright" or at least when most activity has stopped since I'm still using plastic and don't see it clear up. I've read a couple of threads (on HBT) with discussions of racking to secondary, and many insisted that dry hopping was one of those times it was important, even if they were against a secondary for clarity, etc. Is there really much to gain from racking to a secondary container/fermenter to dry hop? Or is it just as effective to dry hop in the primary container?

A secondary ferment is not necessary for most beers and to the contrary can be detrimental to the quality of the finished beer (oxidation, contamination, etc...). I recommend racking directly into the keg upon completion of the primary ferment (terminal gravity) when the beer drops bright, and then dry hopping in the keg (best yield). I prefer to use a muslin bag for dry hopping with a filament for easy retrieval.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:03:19 am »

A secondary ferment is not necessary for most beers and to the contrary can be detrimental to the quality of the finished beer (oxidation, contamination, etc...). I recommend racking directly into the keg upon completion of the primary ferment (terminal gravity) when the beer drops bright, and then dry hopping in the keg (best yield). I prefer to use a muslin bag for dry hopping with a filament for easy retrieval.

And throw a SS lug nut in the muslin bag with the hops so it doesn't float
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:34:30 am »

Filament? 

-J.K.L.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:44:57 am »

Filament?  

-J.K.L.

Believe he was referring to "monofilament" as in a short length of fishing line that can be used to pull the bag back out of the keg
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 08:47:56 am »

Filament?  

-J.K.L.

Believe he was referring to "monofilament" as in a short length of fishing line that can be used to pull the bag back out of the keg

Yes.

...or dental floss.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:33 am »
And throw a SS lug nut in the muslin bag with the hops so it doesn't float

In my experience it really doesn't matter if it floats.  I never weight the bags and I have no issues with dry hopping.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 11:57:40 am »

...or dental floss.

or teflon tape  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281