Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do you brew?  (Read 15803 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
How do you brew?
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:35:59 pm »
What's your brew setup? Wondering what's most common.

Currently I use my retaining wall, BBQ grill, a chair and a cinder block to hold my stainless pots so I can brew outdoors on camp chef burners. Hoping to go indoor electric before snowfall.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: How do you brew?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:35:58 am »
I normally brew 10 gallon batches, batch sparge and always outside. Brewing is a great excuse for me to be outdoors. I like in the south though so the weather cooperates.

I am in the process of building an electric system that I will unveil it here in a few weeks or so.

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
  • Well then... There you go...
    • Skotrats Homebrew Website
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:37:16 am »
Many of the Brewrats put together a "HOW WE BREW" page a few years back.

Some good stuff...

http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/brewrats/how-we-brew/

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:04:32 am »
As it is with many brewers, my brewing has evolved over the years. I actually moved back inside.

These days I mash in my 30qt turkey fryer pot on an electric stove. By doing so I can easily run step mashes (Hochkurz, i.e. 63 C –> 70 C –> 76 C, is my favorite) and don’t have to worry about getting the strike water temp just right. I have been able to do back-to-back batches with only 1% wort fermentability difference. I only have to stir during heating and rest the mash wrapped in blankets during the rests. I then use my old MLT as just LT and batch sparge.

Boiling is done in the same 30qt pot on the deck.

Brewing inside allows me to brew at night (I can easily start at 7 and pitch by midnight which includes a pretty long whirlpool rest in ice water) and watch the kids.

Kai

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:18:25 am »
Click on the All-Grain Pictorial link in my sig to see how I brew. Actually, I should probably do a new pictorial soon since some of my practices have changed slightly in the past year.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:20:21 am »
One thing I do since I mash in a cooler is is I use a "bucket heater" and a Digital Johnson controller w/thermowell. Set my mash-in temp the night before and get my water ready so I can just dough-in first thing the next AM after a cup of coffee or three. Works like a champ!!

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:36:03 am »
I have 3 techniques
- extract w/ steeping grains for when time's tight, although with batch sparging I've been able to knock off batches in 4 hrs
- 5 gal All grain:  I have a 10-gallon brewpot that I'll heat my strike water in.  Mashing in a 7-gal gott cooler.  Water for batch sparging is heated in my "original" 3.5 gallon brewpot. 
- 10 gal All Grain:   I use my 10-gallon brewpot (w/ false bottom) as a mash tun, use the 7-gal gott cooler as a HLT, and the kettle is a converted keg. 
It's kinda nice that several of my vessels can do double duty depending on the need.
I'll post pictures sometime.
Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:41:37 am »
I normally brew 10 gallon batches, batch sparge and always outside. Brewing is a great excuse for me to be outdoors. I like in the south though so the weather cooperates.

I am in the process of building an electric system that I will unveil it here in a few weeks or so.

I can't wait to see the new system major. I'm in the process of building a Brutus 10 system .It will be a few months before it's complete.

Right now..I have a 15 gallon keggle for my kettle and a cooler for a mash tun. It's similiar to Denny's system.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:53:17 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:51:03 am »
i'm doing 5 gallon extract with grains batches currently.  propane burner and ten gal. stainless brew kettle with the ball valve (i guess that's what it's called).  i brew just outside my garage on the back of my house so i can listen to music while i brew.   

i hope to make the jump to all grain in the next few months just to have some more control over the beers.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:01:48 am »
Usually 10 gallons at a time. Equipment consists of:
Barley Crusher
70 qt Coleman X-Treme cooler w/ss braid
60 qt pot w/ball valve (should have bought an 80)
Propane cooker
Homemade 15 gallon conical fermenter made from an induction tank
Homemade fermentation chamber w/air conditioner, controlled by a Ranco ETC-111000-000
Kegerator w/3 Perlick 525's & room for 6 kegs
A very, very patient wife!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:11:29 am »

I can't wait to see the new system major. I'm in the process of building a Brutus 10 system .It will be a few months before it's complete.

Right now..I have a 15 gallon keggle for my kettle and a cooler for a mash tun. It's similiar to Denny's system.

This one is based on the Brutus X too, kinda. We are actually going gas first and then intstalling the electric as we go. We are testing it tomorrow. I will give a little hint - it uses three 55 gallon stainless steel drums.  ;D

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 09:42:37 am »
All grain brewer using a 70 qt Coleman Xtreme cooler for a mashtun.  I setup my walkout basement, aka mancave, to do my mash and setup my Bayou Classic burner just outside.  I have my TV, DVD player, and PC ( for playing Brewing Network podcasts while I brew ).  Basically the family doesn't see me for 5-6 hours on brewday.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 11:24:43 am »
You can see my setup at dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 11:27:14 am »

This one is based on the Brutus X too, kinda. We are actually going gas first and then intstalling the electric as we go. We are testing it tomorrow. I will give a little hint - it uses three 55 gallon stainless steel drums.  ;D

Wow...are you opening a pilot scale brewery or what...?
Ron Price

Offline skotrat

• Assistant Brewer
  • Well then... There you go...
    • Skotrats Homebrew Website
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:30:43 am »
My normal batch size now is 24 gallons...

I do often make 45 gallons of several brews that I want around for a while