Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: May is National Hamburger Month  (Read 16699 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: May is National Hamburger Month
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2011, 03:26:44 pm »
Ah, got ya. I gave away my gas grill about 10 yrs ago...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2011, 05:05:32 pm »
I still have my gas grill for convenience, but I don't use it much anymore.  I use my smoker much more - though I will use the grill for the occasional steaks or a quick couple of pieces of chicken. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2011, 02:15:57 am »
made the burgers friday night - keeping cold till ready to cook helped immensely - nice and pink in the middle!

Still undecided on if grilling or skillet - they were both incredible and it was a little tough to actually distinguish aside from the grill marks.

thanks for the tips!

Burgers on the grill(charcoal of course) are WAY better than in the skillet IMO. Use some soaked mesquite chips to send them over the top...

This weekend I tried a combination - smash & seared them for about a minute on each side to get a nice crust on the cast iron inside, tented with foil to let them rest a bit, then finished them on the grill with the lid closed so the cheese could melt. You keep the sear from the pan no matter what, and by finishing on the grill all those lovely lipophilic compounds in the charcoal smoke get bonded to the meat. Crust + smokiness = perfect.

I think this is my next burger though - http://eater.com/archives/2011/05/06/dave-arnold-makes-the-burger-of-the-future.php

Bacon + meat glue = bacon disc == awesome.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2011, 03:40:25 am »
I heard someone recommend running some wadded up Saran Wrap through it too.  Never tried it, so I don't know how well that works.

Probably doesn't clean it as well as several slices of bread but you don't waste several slices of bread and it definitely gets out all of the big chunks. When grinding 10 ounces for two burgers it sucks to lose that ounce or so you don't get if you don't push it out with something. I am more worried by that than cleaning, which is easy enough manually for the stand mixer attachment grinder I use.

I did bread a few times and then tried plastic and never went back. I was worried it would grind up the plastic into the meat but it all stays intact, it can't push it through the die at all.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 07:10:28 am »
made the burgers friday night - keeping cold till ready to cook helped immensely - nice and pink in the middle!

Still undecided on if grilling or skillet - they were both incredible and it was a little tough to actually distinguish aside from the grill marks.

thanks for the tips!

Burgers on the grill(charcoal of course) are WAY better than in the skillet IMO. Use some soaked mesquite chips to send them over the top...

This weekend I tried a combination - smash & seared them for about a minute on each side to get a nice crust on the cast iron inside, tented with foil to let them rest a bit, then finished them on the grill with the lid closed so the cheese could melt. You keep the sear from the pan no matter what, and by finishing on the grill all those lovely lipophilic compounds in the charcoal smoke get bonded to the meat. Crust + smokiness = perfect.

I think this is my next burger though - http://eater.com/archives/2011/05/06/dave-arnold-makes-the-burger-of-the-future.php

Bacon + meat glue = bacon disc == awesome.

couldn't you just put the skillet on the grill to do that? (I've been thinking of this myself).
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2011, 08:58:45 am »
Tonight's the night.  I'm going home after work today, grinding up my meat & making some burgers!

I have to grind:

1.3lbs Sirloin
1.3lbs Brisket
2.3lbs Oxtail (Weight includes bone & sliverskin - will use 1.3lbs of actual meat/fat)

I'm still trying to decide on the cheese & other toppings.  Sean Paxton (The Homebrew Chef) has suggested smoked gouda and caramelized shallots & garlic (pair w/ a porter). 

I may go that way, but I'm also considering bleu cheese or possibly swiss w/ sauteed mushrooms & onions. 

I can't wait.  This will be my first time ever grinding my own beef.  :) 

EDIT: I think I'm going bacon & bleu w/ grilled shallots.  :) 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:48:59 am by Beer Monger »
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2011, 10:28:14 am »
I think for your first time you should stick to salt and pepper to really get an appreciation for what you've done. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:29 am »
I think for your first time you should stick to salt and pepper to really get an appreciation for what you've done. ;)

Oh, believe me, I'll be having more than one burger tonight.  ;) 

My wife is the minimalist.  She'll eat just the patty w/ next to nothin' on it.  She's almost become vegetarian - nearly never eats meat anymore. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2011, 09:07:59 pm »
The hand grinder was a bit of work, but it was well worth the effort:

3lbs of fresh ground beef.  Equal parts sirloin, brisket & oxtail - you can see the box for the grinder behind the cutting board:

The buns.  Soft yet firm, and just the right size:

The cheese (this will be a mushroom & swiss burger):

The mushrooms, simmering in worcestershire sauce & red wine:

The mold:

The mold w/ a patty inside:

The patties, ready to go (I chilled them in the fridge for a bit before cooking):

A closer look at one of the buns - about to be toasted in the oven:

A patty in the cast iron skillet:

The finshed product, with it's accompaniment (My own IPA isn't ready yet...):

As I said - it was well worth the effort.  Absolutely delicious.  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2011, 09:11:50 pm »
Nice job.  Good call on the buns.  Restaurant style hat's off presentation too.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:56 pm »

Thanks.  Tomorrow I'll be doing a bacon & bleu burger.  ;D 

I'll have to freeze the rest of the ground beef after tomorrow though.  I gound too much!  lol  I'll probably form it all into patties before freezing it.  ;) 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:20 pm »

Thanks.  Tomorrow I'll be doing a bacon & bleu burger.  ;D 

I'll have to freeze the rest of the ground beef after tomorrow though.  I gound too much!  lol  I'll probably form it all into patties before freezing it.  ;) 

dude, there would be something wrong with you if you could polish off ~4lbs of beef in one sitting.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 07:07:42 am »
I'm in shock!   :o

My wife is a burger 'minimalist'.  She usually just wants a patty - period.  Not even a bun.  She'll eat it on a plate with a fork & knife.   

She got home late last night, so just before I went to bed I cooked her up a patty and put it on a plate in the microwave just to keep warm until she got home a short time later.  There were still some leftover mushrooms in the pan from my burger when I went to bed - easily enough for another burger.

Well, this morning the mushrooms were gone and... *gasp* a BUN was missing!  Holy....  what the?  Did my wife have her burger on a bun with mushrooms (possibly even a slice of cheese?  Can't confirm that one.)  Wow!  lol 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 08:11:34 am »
My wife is a burger 'minimalist'.  She usually just wants a patty - period.  Not even a bun.  She'll eat it on a plate with a fork & knife.   

I like that too, but I call it 'meatloaf'.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2011, 08:15:26 am »

I like that too, but I call it 'meatloaf'.

Lol.  Yep.  And I may make a meatloaf w/ some of what I gound too.  I gound 3lbs worth and only made four 1/3lb patties last night.

Tonight I'll be making homemade fries to go w/ the burger (Yep - another one.  It was too damn good!).  Last night I was out of white vinegar and too low on oil. 
Beer Monger's Blog