Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Bread  (Read 10561 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Re: Rye Bread
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 10:08:19 am »
Ok it is nic's wife we need to convince...hmmmm
any result yet jay?
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 02:47:35 pm »
any result yet jay?

nope not yet still sounds good though

jaybeerman

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:45:07 am »
***UPDATE***

Ok Dave, I know you're a hurtin unit right now and that's no fun.  Hopefully the following at least brings a smile.  cheers, j

I finally tried the caraway spaghetti pizza.  OMG did this work out!  I'm so glad I gave this a whirl. Thanks dave, seriously good stuff.  I would definitely recommend cooking it in the sauce like dave mentioned.  Here's what I did - I made my usual soffritto base, bastardized this time because I used all garden stuff, so I used a cup of carrots, a cup of squash and two cups of onion.  These were, minced, fried med hard in a generous amount of olive oil until "amber" or medium.  I added a very small handful of minced flat leaf parsley and a very small handful of minced fresh marjoram, both from the garden. Then I blended roughly 1.5-2 lbs of garden tomatoes and added them to the pot.  Mixed well and added a heaping TBS of caraway, put the lid on.  Within 3 minutes there was major caraway smell in the kitchen.  At this point I tasted the sauce and was a bit pissed off that dave had mislead me, the sauce was dominated by caraway.  BUT, within 5 minutes or so the flavors had perfectly blended and the sauce had a heavenly aroma.  I let the sauce thicken for a while.  I didn't take time to make dough, so I went with the premade "Tuscan Six Grain Old World Pizz Crust" from Rustic Crust.  Next I rubbed the crust with olive oil and added tomato/soffritto/caraway sauce generously.  There wasn't much in the fridge so I went to the garden again for squash and savoy cabbage (sliced and shredded).  Then I added mushrooms and sharp white cheddar.  In the oven it went @ 500f for about 16 minutes (@ 5000 ft elevation).  The caraway worked perfectly with the crust and the sauce.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 10:03:22 am »

;D           :D               ;)

Jason, THANK YOU for trying this and putting the results on the thread.  I was so
glad to see that "BUT" in the post.  I am also glad that this did work out for you.
BTW, I often get Papa Murphy's pizzas and add some contadina squeeze bottle
pizza sauce to the top of the pizza then sprinkle with some CARAWAY and that
just works so good for me! 

Today I got up and was not totally pain free but my pain level was greatly diminished.
thanks for the positive thoughts.....Maybe now nicneufeld will not be so skittish....... ???

jaybeerman

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 10:23:48 am »
I was so glad to see that "BUT"

umm...that's the first time I've heard that phrase from a male, I'll remind you that I'm happily married (to a female).

Yes it was delicious.  The first thought I had was, perhaps I need to make my rye pizza crust with caraway.  I'm thinking it might be good.

Contadina??? I'll have to look that up

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 11:03:30 am »
ROFL   :-[

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:05:47 am by 1vertical »

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:20 pm »
I used to use that stuff regularly, but now I just use the cheap generic brand cans, which works fine after I've doctored it up enough.  A bit of ajvar in pizza sauce adds a nice red pepper kick as well.

Got to say, I really do love caraway, I just don't feel the inclination to make my Italian-American food with that flavor!  What can I say, I'm traditional...give me fennel instead.

However, I say again, akvavit is a thing of splendour for caraway lovers.

jaybeerman

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 12:52:47 pm »
Got to say, I really do love caraway, I just don't feel the inclination to make my Italian-American food with that flavor!  What can I say, I'm traditional...give me fennel instead.

Wow a brewer who just won't try something new  ;) I'm shocked!  :)

still need to try akvavit

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 02:12:55 pm »
Hey, if it makes you feel better, I'll sprinkle some caraway on my pasta next time, as long as you agree to sprinkle asafetida and fish sauce on your next slice of apple pie!   ;D

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 02:35:03 pm »
Hey, if it makes you feel better, I'll sprinkle some caraway on my pasta next time, as long as you agree to sprinkle asafetida and fish sauce on your next slice of apple pie!   ;D
That is a fair request nic...but for the record, I ain't gonna....(gmphhh) ;)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 02:38:20 pm »
I don't think it's a fair request at all.  Who "sprinkes" asafoetida on anything?  As far as I know it is always cooked.  You know, so it tastes less like a corpse. ;)

A little fish sauce cooked in with an apple pie might be good though. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »
IA little fish sauce cooked in with an apple pie might be good though. :)

No way nothing goes on my apple pie but ice cream or maybe some melty cheddar cheese.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

jaybeerman

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 05:11:40 pm »

:D
hmm, poop/garlicy/fish apple pie, sounds aromatic with depth of flavor!  I'll mull it over for a few days and then decide.  I do flavor a lot of dishes with fish sauce (umami), but have yet to try it on apple pie.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 12:08:02 am »
IA little fish sauce cooked in with an apple pie might be good though. :)

No way nothing goes on my apple pie but ice cream or maybe some melty cheddar cheese.
I think a small amount cooked in it could add a layer of complexity that could be interesting.  I'd want to use less salt and a small enough amount of fish sauce that you wouldn't be able to pick it out.  And I fully admit that the result could be disgusting. :)  When our apples are ripe I might throw some in an apple crisp.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 12:43:19 am »
Wouldn't it be like adding MSG to the pie? That's basically what it is right? Salty MSG. Or Natural Flavoring...

I say give it a try. I would but I don't eat sweets.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis