Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Bread  (Read 10563 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Rye Bread
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 03:21:01 am »
I don't know.  Our fish sauce has no MSG, it is just anchovy extract and salt.  Then again, they don't give ingredients for anchovy extract . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 06:14:21 am »
I don't know.  Our fish sauce has no MSG, it is just anchovy extract and salt.  Then again, they don't give ingredients for anchovy extract . . .

They're fermented, and then pressed. There's a pretty big thread over on a BBQ board about fish sauce. I'm not advertising for the guy, but the cut and paste I'm putting in next was pretty informative.

Red is the first authentic Vietnamese fish sauce to make it to these shores since the 1970s when the Vietnam war resulted in a trade embargo causing the Chinese and Thais to start making highly processed fish sauce to fill the gap. All fish sauces in the States today with exception of Thai Kitchen, are made with third and fourth pressing of anchovies with water, MSG, hydrolyzed wheat proteins and sugar added for flavor.

To make Red Boat we use an artisanal process that is 200 years old. We work with local fisherman in Phu Quoc Island Vietnam. Wild caught anchovies caught at specific times of year are salted with local sea salt minutes after leaving the waters off the island. We then place them in 10 foot high hand made tropical wood barrels that hold 14,000 lbs of fish, and slow ferment them at ambient tropical temperatures and humidity for 12-16 months. We then do barrel tastings, open the tap on the best barrels, blend, filter and bottle. It is extra-virgin, with Zero water, additives, sugar, or preservatives. Red Boat has more than double the naturally fermented protein content of the processed versions and it shows in umami levels. If you have ever heard of umami, or savoriness, this stuff is off the charts in it!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:06 am »

That makes me want to go buy some and I don't even like fish sauce.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 12:18:17 pm »
I've gone through two bottles of the 3 Crabs Fish Sauce and am half-way through one of the Phu Quoc Fish Sauce. It just isn't for Asian food. Don't be afraid...

Oh... Caraway!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 12:29:07 pm »
See, I was trying to make a bit of a joke with the fish sauce apple pie, but if you guys are seriously willing to try it, then I'll openly admit your palates are more "advanced" than mine!  :D 

I do put garam masala on a variety of atypical things...but its a pretty mild spice blend.  Great on roasted potatoes.

That ad copy for fish sauce has an opposite effect on me.  A bunch of fish stuck in a barrel for 12-16 months at ambient tropical temperatures?  GOOD LORD that is a factory I never want to tour!!!  At least when the scandinavians go for rotten fish (surstromming, rakfisk) they have slightly cooler temperatures on their side!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 12:33:14 pm »
Garum!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »
See, I was trying to make a bit of a joke with the fish sauce apple pie, but if you guys are seriously willing to try it, then I'll openly admit your palates are more "advanced" than mine!  :D  

I do put garam masala on a variety of atypical things...but its a pretty mild spice blend.  Great on roasted potatoes.

That ad copy for fish sauce has an opposite effect on me.  A bunch of fish stuck in a barrel for 12-16 months at ambient tropical temperatures?  GOOD LORD that is a factory I never want to tour!!!  At least when the scandinavians go for rotten fish (surstromming, rakfisk) they have slightly cooler temperatures on their side!

now garam masala might be okay on pie. Maybe garam masala ice cream. Hmm Garam Masala Coconut sorbeto with apple, raisin and dried mango gallette. Now that's an idea.

**EDIT** to bring it back to to topic. how about apple raisin, dried mango and caraway gallette
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:43:58 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 12:47:28 pm »
I've gone through two bottles of the 3 Crabs Fish Sauce and am half-way through one of the Phu Quoc Fish Sauce. It just isn't for Asian food. Don't be afraid...

Oh... Caraway!

I work with a Chinese guy that buys Three Crabs Fish Sauce as well as other asian delights for me when he goes to the asian market in Philly. Really fine sauce...not very enviting from an aromatic standpoint but the flavor is fabulous.
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 07:15:28 pm »
I work with a Chinese guy that buys Three Crabs Fish Sauce as well as other asian delights for me when he goes to the asian market in Philly. Really fine sauce...not very enviting from an aromatic standpoint but the flavor is fabulous.

Ask Cap about it, he's on his second bottle of Red Boat already and he used to use 3crabs.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »

Ask Cap about it, he's on his second bottle of Red Boat already and he used to use 3crabs.

Will do.  :)
Ron Price

jaybeerman

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 12:24:27 pm »
ok folks but the real point here is that caraway kicks a$$ !!!  :)

dammit, now I have to hunt down the fishsauce too.  sounds awesome

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 04:56:20 pm »
ok folks but the real point here is that caraway kicks a$$ !!!  :)

dammit, now I have to hunt down the fishsauce too.  sounds awesome

I was thinking the same thing Jason...but I know that I am out here in
BFEwHyO....and there isn't any...at least any you would care to ingest.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

jaybeerman

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 01:23:44 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Jason...but I know that I am out here in
BFEwHyO....and there isn't any...at least any you would care to ingest.

you're not brewing any fishsauce right now?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 01:51:51 pm »
I think you could. Fish. Salt. Barrel. Sun. After a year or so you drain the liquid off. Fish sauce.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2011, 08:39:58 pm »
I think you could. Fish. Salt. Barrel. Sun. After a year or so you drain the liquid off. Fish sauce.

MMMM Garum!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.