Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Bread  (Read 10562 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Rye Bread
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:02:19 am »
I gotta have it!  Russian, Jewish, Dark....Caraway seeds on
spaghetti, ravioli, pizza, RYE baby RYE....Good in beer too...
And the Whiskey....oh Yeah....wonder I don't get St.Anthony's Fire....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Rye Bread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:51:59 am »
I gotta have it!  Russian, Jewish, Dark....Caraway seeds on
spaghetti, ravioli, pizza, RYE baby RYE....Good in beer too...
And the Whiskey....oh Yeah....wonder I don't get St.Anthony's Fire....

I love rye bread. Caraway too. Spaghetti?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:34:24 am »
Don't forget pumpernickel! My FAVORITE burger is the Goose Island brewpub's burger - mix of bison and beef, loads of freshly ground black pepper, roasted garlic pieces, stilton cheese, pumpernickel bun. Nom.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:04:41 am »
I am the bread maker in the family... and then one day BAM, my wife makes this amazing pumpernickel bread.  Chewy, sour, rich, rye, caraway...  awesome!  

Says I, "Where you been hiding this all these years baby?!

Now she makes two loaves twice a week (says the secret is unsweetened chocolate powder).  I can eat a whole loaf by myself in one sitting.

Pumpernickel = devil's fart
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:10:49 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:43:01 am »
Don't forget pumpernickel! My FAVORITE burger is the Goose Island brewpub's burger - mix of bison and beef, loads of freshly ground black pepper, roasted garlic pieces, stilton cheese, pumpernickel bun. Nom.

+1  I probably order that every other time I'm there.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:44:51 am »
Rye makes lovely bread, beer, and whiskey that's for sure!  Caraway in spaghetti may be a bridge too far for me, but if you like caraway, snag some akvavit!  Rye bread, cheese, smoked salmon or gravlax, and cold akvavit...skal!

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »
Rye and pumpernickel are awesome in just about every form.  Rye pizza crust is killer.  I even make rye noodles for my chicken noodle soup.  Ok 1vert I need an explanation of the caraway in spaghetti.  How much?  Is it part of the cooking process or sprinkled on top?

hmm, will have to try akvavit

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »
Rye and pumpernickel are awesome in just about every form.  Rye pizza crust is killer.  I even make rye noodles for my chicken noodle soup.  Ok 1vert I need an explanation of the caraway in spaghetti.  How much?  Is it part of the cooking process or sprinkled on top?

hmm, will have to try akvavit

Jay, I prefer it cooked in with a batch...but it gets in the wife's dentures and she does not
like it because of that so....If she cooks the spaghetti, I just sprinkle it on top.  As for how
much, I would not mind a Heaping teaspoon in a 12 inch skillet full of sauce....more or less..
(prolly more).  
Caraway is commmonly used in the Italian sausage and that is where I found that It goes
well in Spaghetti for me....so, If I make sauce that is shy on the Italian Sausage I just
add a jag of Caraway for the void.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6896622_common-italian-spices.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:36:19 pm by 1vertical »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:43:49 am »
When I lived in Europe we could get a caraway gouda. I can always get cumin gouda but never caraway. Haven't had caraway gouda in over 25 years. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 05:37:30 am »
This reminds me of a beer and food pairing a friend and I did last year.  He made these little Reuben sandwich sliders and I paired my Export lager with them, but I added the caraway seed to the beer instead of the bread.  It was a great match.  The beer smelled like rye bread.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

jaybeerman

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:57:34 am »
If she cooks the spaghetti, I just sprinkle it on top.  As for how
much, I would not mind a Heaping teaspoon in a 12 inch skillet full of sauce....more or less..
(prolly more).  
Caraway is commmonly used in the Italian sausage and that is where I found that It goes
well in Spaghetti for me....so, If I make sauce that is shy on the Italian Sausage I just
add a jag of Caraway for the void.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6896622_common-italian-spices.html

cool, thanks. I use caraway in potato soup all the time for the same reason (shy on sausage). but most of the time i use a touch of fennel for my potato soup and my spaghetti.  looks like a few experiments are in order.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:18:54 am »
Post back your impressions and maybe we can get nic to come over to the caraway side!  :-*

jaybeerman

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:31:09 am »
Post back your impressions and maybe we can get nic to come over to the caraway side!

will do.  i should mention that I'm on a stirfry kick and haven't fixed anything else for a few months.  i can't get enough ginger and sambal oelek but i'll try to work in some caraway spaghetti

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 10:32:53 am »
One of my favorite sandwiches is Imported Polish Ham + Imported Swiss cheese + sliced deli pickle + stone ground mustard on some fresh Rye Bread.   :)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 12:46:20 pm »
Post back your impressions and maybe we can get nic to come over to the caraway side!  :-*

My wife is a traditional American fare sort of girl at heart, and she usually tolerates me when I get creative, but as much as she loves pasta she might murder me if I tinkered with it as such.  She barely let me put in fennel at first!  :D

Caraway just makes me think of Eastern or Northern Europe!  Which in turn makes me want to go find a bottle of Aalborg...