Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1450  (Read 41735 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Wyeast 1450
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2010, 11:52:06 am »
I just ordered some of this yeast. I'll try an APA with it first.
Ron Price

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2010, 12:02:48 pm »
I just ordered some of this yeast. I'll try an APA with it first.
I'm trying it for the first time also.  I just pulled a gallon off of my stir-plate over the weekend.  It's in the fridge crashing now and I plan to brew Denny's Rye IPA over this coming weekend.  It looks like it's kind of slow to floc, but that doesn't really bother me.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2010, 06:23:16 am »
I'd say it depends on what you want...like you say, it may be sluggish at that temp.  If you're in a hurry, moving it to the mid 60s is fine.

I took a temperature reading this morning. I was mistaken, it's colder than I thought. The beer is at 55.6 degrees right now but still  moving along nicely. I don't need this beer done for another 2 weeks so would it hurt anything to leave it there and move it to a warmer location if it has trouble finishing?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:39 am »
I'd say it depends on what you want...like you say, it may be sluggish at that temp.  If you're in a hurry, moving it to the mid 60s is fine.

I took a temperature reading this morning. I was mistaken, it's colder than I thought. The beer is at 55.6 degrees right now but still  moving along nicely. I don't need this beer done for another 2 weeks so would it hurt anything to leave it there and move it to a warmer location if it has trouble finishing?

Wow, that is pretty cool for it!  But as long as it's still working, your plan sounds good to me!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2010, 09:19:37 am »
Hey Denny, have you noticed that this yeast tends to fall into a groove? What I mean by that is that the last three beers I've brewed have taken off like mad the first two or three days, then the krausen falls about halfway down and the yeast goes from nearly blowing the lid off of the fermenter, to more a a slow and steady fermentation. This seems to happen when the yeast is at about 50% AA. Most other yeast strains I've used seem to go crazy until about 90% done.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2010, 09:26:53 am »
I think that's about right, Ryan.  Although since I'm fermenting in buckets I can't really see what's going on.  I don't even bother checking it until 2 weeks in.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:55 am »
Hey Denny, have you noticed that this yeast tends to fall into a groove? What I mean by that is that the last three beers I've brewed have taken off like mad the first two or three days, then the krausen falls about halfway down and the yeast goes from nearly blowing the lid off of the fermenter, to more a a slow and steady fermentation. This seems to happen when the yeast is at about 50% AA. Most other yeast strains I've used seem to go crazy until about 90% done.

+1
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2010, 12:31:42 pm »
My experience with 1450 was also that it was slower and steady (though still very attenuative) compare to say, US-05 which rips through seemingly any wort in 3 days.  Will be using 1450 again in the next week or two - a fine yeast that I'm glad has become a year-round offering!

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2010, 01:07:29 pm »
I think that's about right, Ryan.  Although since I'm fermenting in buckets I can't really see what's going on.  I don't even bother checking it until 2 weeks in.

Yeah, I bought a couple buckets at a local restaurant supply store and they're slightly translucent so I can make out the krausen. I just happened to notice my airlock slow down after a couple days and saw the krausen had fallen a bit. Took a gravity reading(Rye IPA, BTW) and it's down from 1.071 to 1.042 after three days. Two days later and its at 1.036. 3 points a day isn't a very vigorous fermentation so I'm raising the temp up to 68-69 degrees.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2010, 01:54:39 pm »
Mine have been within two or three points of finishing after a week but it needs at least a couple if not three weeks to really finish.  My rye IPA after only a week tasted very bland, no hop flavor or aroma... tasted like cream of wheat hot cereal really, but it was only a week into the fermentation.  Now the hop flavor and aroma are coming forward and it tastes like beer.  I'm kegging it this weekend which puts it at three weeks from start of fermentation. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2010, 10:06:57 am »
I'm kegging it this weekend which puts it at three weeks from start of fermentation. 

That;s pretty much my schedule with it, too.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2010, 07:45:04 am »
Well I finally bought some. I prepared a starter last night. Does anyone harvest this yeast, if so how does it perform. How many times? Reharvest each time?

I'm making an IPA with it.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2010, 10:10:26 am »
I always harvest and reuse it, at least 3-5 times, depending on the beers I make. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:15 am »
Well, finally brewed Denny's Rye IPA with this yeast this weekend.  I started with a 1.5 liter starter on a stir plate, then to a 3 quart starter on a stir plate also chilled and decanted.  Then 2 days before brewing I put it into a very small starter to wake up the yeast, since it had been in the fridge for a few weeks.  Brewed a 10.5-ish gallon batch split into 2 - 6.5 gallon fermenters and it made a mess of my fermentation chest!   :-\ 

First, I forgot to switch out the airlocks for blowoff tubes on before I went to bed  ::) .  Then when I did get the tubes on (first thing next morning), I had the tubes in their own 1/2 gallon mason jars a little less than half full of sanitizer.  Every couple hours those were erupting with foam and yeast from all the blow-off.  Whoops!  I guess I may have overpitched a little, but man did that thing take off like a rocket!  I'll wait for the slow-down that everyone else seems to experience then slowly begin to step up the temp.   :)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2010, 06:39:32 pm »
I made an IPA today. Tastes like it's going to be really good. I bittered with CTZ and used a hopburst schedule with Centennial/Cascade...20/15/10/5/0.

I pitched a 3L starter with 1450.

Looking forward to the end product.
Ron Price