Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's cookin' for the Holidays folks?  (Read 14203 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's cookin' for the Holidays folks?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 07:57:59 pm »
Oh, you have to include sauerkraut. It makes for good luck.

Not sure if I will do the crown roast. I was at the butcher today and he told me that it is $75 for a stuffed, Frenched crown roast of pork.  :o

To rich for my blood.

I can get a beef tenderloin for that money. For a few bucks more I can buy a whole roasted pig!
We usually do lobster tails and pesto pasta. Nothing crazy. But I do have a 1980 bottle of Dom I need to see if it's still good.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 11:18:56 am »
Christmas eve was 16 oz. lobster tails, asparagus, green beans, twice baked potatoes, and Poully-Fuisse for drink.  Christmas was lamb roast, smoked ham, carrot salad, Amish style potato filling, various other vegetable matter, cheesecake, carrot cake and chocolate cream pie.  My birthday was halfshell oystewrs, crabcakes, stuffed oysters, crab imperial, and crab au gratin, twice baked taters (again), coleslaw, broiled scallops, washed down with a couple DFH 60 minute IPAs.  I think I gained 7 pounds. :o
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 05:34:19 pm »
Oh, you have to include sauerkraut. It makes for good luck.

Not sure if I will do the crown roast. I was at the butcher today and he told me that it is $75 for a stuffed, Frenched crown roast of pork.  :o

To rich for my blood.

yeah, we bailed on the pork roast too - its incredibly expensive this year - I was going to make some pork schnitzel last night and switched to chicken cutlets instead 9.49/lb for boneless pork chops vs. 4.00/lb for chix breast  :o

I would be all over the sauerkraut if I were cooking it at my house, but I'm cooking with my M-in-law at her house - my wife's fam is very, very Italian - I think I'm the first non-paisan ever...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 06:20:29 pm »
Hmm, Italian. Id like to think I know a little bit about this.

You could make Zampone, very traditional Italian New Years fare.  That is stuffed pigs feet. Pigs feet should be much less then the rib roast.

My grandmom did sausage and lentils on New Years. Real good luck with this one as the winds of the new year blow. 

For dessert you should do Struffoli. a pyramid stack of honey balls. MMM...nothing says happy new year like a pile of sticky balls.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:38:44 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »
Pork and Sauerkraut is the food for the new year in my house!

As has been the case for hundreds of years...What do black-eyed peas, sauerkraut, grapes and noodles have in common?

They're all foods eaten to ring in the new year around the world. Regionally, pork and sauerkraut is the traditional meal prepared to celebrate the first of the year.

And you can get some decent cuts of pork for decent prices these days.  8)
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 07:08:01 pm »
Pork and Sauerkraut is the food for the new year in my house!

And you can get some decent cuts of pork for decent prices these days.  8)

Tell that to blatz!

redbeerman has a good menu, sucks to be in the midwest WRT seafood.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 06:46:17 am »
yeah, we bailed on the pork roast too - its incredibly expensive this year - I was going to make some pork schnitzel last night and switched to chicken cutlets instead 9.49/lb for boneless pork chops vs. 4.00/lb for chix breast  :o

Hell's bells man!   :o  I make schnitzel out of whole pork loin, which generally goes for $1.99 a lb, or $1.50 on sale!  Likewise $4 a lb is a bit steep for chicken too.  Around here boneless/skinless is a bit over $2 a lb, and whole chickens run from 70c to a dollar a lb.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 07:59:07 am »
Our traditional New Year's Day meal is a fresh ham (not smoked), mashed taters w/ dark pork gravy made from the ham (stuff of the gods I tell ya) and black-eyed pea salad (blackeyed peas, carrots, red and green peppers, onions, in a sweet/sour vinaigrette.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 08:03:15 am »
What, no seafood? I was thinking you lived on a boat or something.  ;)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 01:37:10 pm »

We eat seafood 2 or 3 times a week normally.  I think I've had it everyday since Christmas eve. :P  New Years Day is all about fresh pork and black-eyed peas.  Don't forget to burn your bayberry candle down on New Years Eve. ;D

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »

We eat seafood 2 or 3 times a week normally.  I think I've had it everyday since Christmas eve. :P  New Years Day is all about fresh pork and black-eyed peas.  Don't forget to burn your bayberry candle down on New Years Eve. ;D

What  ???

No Sauerkraut with your fresh pork... :o  That's Blasphemy!  ;D
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 03:47:59 pm »
I don't get you guys and kraut.  ???
Not that there's anything wrong with it, you're just a little overly passionate about your kraut.  :P

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 04:23:57 pm »
Gotta have pork and kraut on New Years Day.  It's good luck for the rest of the year  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 04:55:44 pm »
Yeah, its kraut time around this house all through the holidays.

I always pack up a crock kupusta for fermenting in the fall to have it done by Christmas. We even drive out to Lancaster to get the giant heads of late season cabbage from the Amish.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 05:53:33 pm »
Tonight I cooked an asian stirfry...lots of veg and rice noodles, with (seperately) a small amount of sliced chicken breast, breaded with panko and fried in rapeseed oil.  Tomorrow we're going to a Brazilian churrascaria for lunch and then leftovers and 4 year old sparkling mead champagne to ring in the new year, and NY Day I'll make some sort of schnitzel, maybe with a jaegerschnitzel sauce and french fries, with a glass or two of slivovitz.  Now that is a well kept secret of the Balkans...it has everything I like in a good eaux de vie (like poires williams or kirschwasser, etc), even though it has a reputation as a harsh east european firewater.  Great stuff!  I got the widely available Maraska brand.  I meant to save it for an outdoor cook of gulyas but right now the firepit is under a foot or so of well packed snow (as is most of the prospective kindling in my yard), so maybe come spring...