Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OT: Where can I find affordable beer glasses?  (Read 5724 times)

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
OT: Where can I find affordable beer glasses?
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:36:57 pm »
I didn't know where else to post this in the forum.  I hope I'm not breaking any rules. If so, please move or lock it up.

All I have right now is Pint and Mug. For now, I want to get a Goblet,Pilsner and Weizen Glass.

Anybody know of good websites/stores I could find affordable beer glasses?

Also, I’m a beginner when it comes to beer tasting, so any other recommendations on what type of beer glasses a beginner should always have handy would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: OT: Where can I find affordable beer glasses?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:13:40 pm »
beer glasses?! just head down to the local bar, drink yourself silly then go for the most beautiful woman in the room!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:23:32 pm »
Joe

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:00:03 pm »
I haven't ordered from this place yet but I've got my eye on a couple things when the funds become available:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4653/beer-glasses.html

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:04:56 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.  For now, my pint and mug glass will be my only options.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:54:03 am »
I got a lot of really nice glasses from Bed Bath and Beyond on the cheap.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:59:13 am »
World Market always has a wide selection at fairly reasonable prices.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »
Maybe not the cheapest, but Crate & Barrel has some decent glasses.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:08 pm »
If you're not picky about having matching glasses, then you can often find surplus Libbey barware and glasses at stores like Marshalls, Ross, and TJ Maxx.  It is kind of hit-or-miss, so it takes some time to accumulate the various glasses in the quantities that you may need.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:48:19 pm »
beer glasses?! just head down to the local bar, drink yourself silly then go for the most beautiful woman in the room!

no no those are beer GOGGLES, close though

to the OP, don't forget garage sales, first round should be coming up pretty soon.

Personaly I use either a pint glass or a mug for drinking and a wine glass for tasting. Get the biggest red wine glass you can find. It concentrates the aroma nicely and the shape gives you a range of depths to check out color, clarity ect.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:50:03 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 04:30:29 pm »
Love the suggestions. Definitely going to checkout those places you guys have mentioned.   

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »
I would check your local Dollar Store, I've found 3 types of beer glasses there and I've been really happy with them, all Libby Glasses too!

This is the store we have locally

I picked up a big mug, a stout glass and a belgian curved goblet-type glass so far. They also always have some wacky glasses too like the green coca-cola replicas and glasses shaped like cans.

Cheers!
Tony
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

jaybeerman

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:36 pm »
http://www.pubglasses.com/

I don't think the glassware was TOP quality but it was cheap.  Every now and then they have clearance items for way cheap.

A few months back I was at a liquor store that I don't frequent that much, in the back they had the sam adams perfect pints for 99 cents a piece.  woohoo!

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 11:30:00 pm »
Find your local HB club. Join. Make it known that you're looking for glassware. Politely turn down 90 of the 100 offers you get to take glassware off peoples' hands.

Alternately, haunt Goodwill and other thrift stores.They're not so good for specialty beer glasses, but are very good for wine glasses and brandy snifters, as long as you don't mind mismatched glasses. Occasionally, you'll luck out and find an old style pilsnener flute, although it probably will advertise a brand of beer you'd never willingly drink.

I haven't done it, but I'd also imagine that flea markets and Craig's List might be good sources to get cheap glassware.

My "go to" beer glasses are:

1) Sam Adams "nonick" glasses. I like these because they're a good compromise between the standard shaker glass and a weizen "vase", fit nicely in my hand, and have etched nucleation points which helps head development. Sometimes these are given away by SA brewery reps at events. If you see them in your local good beer bar, you might also be able to sweet talk the management into giving or selling you a couple.

2) An assortment of 2-oz taster glasses. Nice for when you want to do parallel tastings, share out beer samples among friends, or if you're wanting to practice BJCP-style beer judging. Also good for HB club meetings when you don't want to drink too much. I've gotten way too many of these by volunteering at/attending beer festivals over the years.

3) An assortment of 6-8 oz. taster glasses. Ditto.

4) 6 or 8 oz. stemmed tulip glass. Good for bigger, fuller-bodied beers where you don't want a full serving, or for splitting a bottle of beer with a friend. The bell helps retain aroma and head. A friend of mine uses a small (4-6 oz.) spirit snifter as his preferred testing glass for this reason.

5) 12-16 oz. brandy snifter, goblet or tulip glass. Good for Belgian strongs, Berlinerweisse, Saisons and other aromatic, big-headed beers. These are commonly used to serve Abbey/Trappist beers in good beer bars. Again, you might be able to sweet talk the management in to giving/selling you one or two. Some champagne glasses you see in stores might also fit the bill.

6) 16 oz. hefeweizen glasses. Good for all beers with big frothy heads, not just hefe.

7) 12 oz. lidded ceramic "maas" mug. Mine was originally sold by Avon and had aftershave in it. I bought it at a flea market (sans aftershave) years ago. Good for outdoor drinking when I don't want critters or gunk in my beer. I just wish I could find more like it.

Everything else just gathers dust, or sits in the china cabinet because it looks pretty.

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »
Just an update. Went to the thrift store today and got a brandy snifter. I saw a Glencairn glass, but didn’t get it. It looked cool, but I wasn’t sure if it was great for beer. Anybody know anything about this glass? Can you use it for beer? I know you are suppose to use it for whiskey.