Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recipe-wise, Ever Fail To Perfect A Style?  (Read 3693 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Recipe-wise, Ever Fail To Perfect A Style?
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:51:50 am »
I posted a thread about recipe development that has some interesting insights into the ways people come up with original recipes.  I did it because, while I've been successful at times, there have been a few styles that I've never been able to brew to my satisfaction.  Belgian dubbel and Dusseldorf alt are two examples of styles I've brewed multiple times and have yet to be really content with the outcome.  I've even worn myself out drinking the mediocre attempts and have had to give up brewing them for awhile.  Its frustrating not to be able to brew something that does justice to a style.  I'm not talking about brewing a beer that rivals a Westmalle or Zum Uerige, but it should have some of the essence of the style.

So this thread is about those styles that have eluded you so far.  I know that we are often our own worst critics, but we're often the most knowledgable set of lips to slurp down the products and we want to brew to our own satisfaction first and foremost.

Anybody else got a testimonial?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Recipe-wise, Ever Fail To Perfect A Style?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:19:57 am »
ESB.  I just can't seem to land it.  What I make is good, and I enjoy drinking it, but it just isn't quite there yet.  I'll be brewing the sixth iteration of the current version in a couple weeks with some tweeks to the hopping schedule and keeping my fingers crossed.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:24:11 am »
I've made some pretty good dunkels, but I've never made one that I fell really nails the style.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:29:30 am »
Never nailed the Zum Uerige alt.  Denny posted some info that got it close, should try again.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:33:16 am »
Irish red is the one style I cannot capture.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:37:41 am »
It took me awhile to brew a good Belgian.  I've learned that I prefer them in the lower end of the fermenting temp range.
Dan Chisholm

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:41:03 am »
Irish red is the one style I cannot capture.

Do you use tap water?  I've gone to RO to try and enhance my malty flavors.  I haven't made a decent Irish red either, or really any malt-forward beer other than a best bitter.  I'm hoping the water change helps my alt, my dubbel and anything with a malt-forward flavor profile.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
Southern English Brown, though with the lack of examples to compare to, I'm kind of flying blind.
Going to try again in a few weeks.  I don't think I'll ever really love this style; I just can't live with the current failures.   ;D

cheers--
--Michael

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:38:30 am »
Southern English Brown, though with the lack of examples to compare to, I'm kind of flying blind.
Going to try again in a few weeks.  I don't think I'll ever really love this style; I just can't live with the current failures.   ;D

cheers--
--Michael

No kidding, it becomes a quest after awhile.  I brew stuff I know I'm not going to drink, just to see if I'll have success.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:58:58 am »
I don't think I have ever mastered a recipe. I might be close on my cali common but I still have tweaks I would like to try. Still need more feedback from a wider audience though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 03:51:07 pm »
I concur with Denny, I just cannot nail down that maltiness and mouthfeel of a good German Dunkel!  Next batch I will try decoction and more melanoidin malt.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 04:57:42 pm »
I haven't really mastered sour beers. I'd really like to get into blending and brewing sours some day. The few times I have attempted it they have turned out pretty nasty.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 05:03:11 pm »
I concur with Denny, I just cannot nail down that maltiness and mouthfeel of a good German Dunkel!  Next batch I will try decoction and more melanoidin malt.

Ya know, I'd almost suggest you skip the melanoidin.  While there is a wonderful maltiness to dunkels, there is no sweetness in the best examples I've tried.  Melanoidin might add too much sweetness.  OTOH, I could be completely wrong!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 05:28:05 pm »
I haven't really mastered sour beers. I'd really like to get into blending and brewing sours some day. The few times I have attempted it they have turned out pretty nasty.

Thats something that is more art than science.  That and the patience to let something sit for a year+.  I've actually had decent luck so far.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 06:22:29 pm »
For me it's always been the astonishingly easy porter. Don't know why. I just have to borrow friends recipes for the style.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny