Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt running low.....  (Read 7748 times)

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
Re: Malt running low.....
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:10 pm »
Good to know. I may give that a try, I may not. Do you happen to know general price ranges? I'm curious if it's worth the trouble seeing as I can get them pretty cheap locally. (GW 2-row: $29. Best pils: $45. Weyermann pils: $39)

its not worth your while - I bought Best Pils for around $34 on my last order and then paid around $25 in shipping.  But your shipping is going to be more I would assume given your locale.
Thanks Blatz. $25 shipping for a single bag? Or for several? If the latter then that isn't bad, but you'r right - if they're shipping from the main warehouse then it would be more for me.

While we're on the topic, is Best that much better than Weyermann? I've heard nothing but rave reviews but haven't tried it yet. Always had good results with Weyermann, and they treated us well when we visited last year too.

$25 per single bag.

I prefer Best to Weyermann, but I have no qualms using Weyermann.  Best just has a richness that Weyermann doesn't.  I've been digging a blend of Weyermann and Best recently in my lighter lagers - ryan6458 turned me on to that - its good stuff!
Thank you sir. Yes, $25/bag more than I can get it for locally. I think I'll try best this time to see if it lives up to the hype. And I like the idea of a blend too.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »
Good to know. I may give that a try, I may not. Do you happen to know general price ranges? I'm curious if it's worth the trouble seeing as I can get them pretty cheap locally. (GW 2-row: $29. Best pils: $45. Weyermann pils: $39)

I ordered a few sacks earlier this year from North Country and Canada Malting 2-row was $32 + $25 shipping.

Whereas Northern Brewer has Canada Malting 2-row (Pale Ale) for $37.99 + $7.99 shipping.

I think I'll be looking at NB in the future.
Ron Price

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 01:02:31 pm »

I ordered a few sacks earlier this year from North Country and Canada Malting 2-row was $32 + $25 shipping.

Whereas Northern Brewer has Canada Malting 2-row (Pale Ale) for $37.99 + $7.99 shipping.

I think I'll be looking at NB in the future.
Yeah, I think I'm going to stick with going local for this.

Also, I'm pretty sure grain sacks fall outside the NB flat rate shipping.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 01:05:17 pm »
I thought so too, and just checked.  Their policy says it might but it is clearly labeled.  The bulk grains I checked didn't say +shipping, and with them in my cart I used the shipping calculator and it gave me $7.99 as an option.  It might change if you went all of the way through the process, but it looks like $7.99 works for at least some of the bulk malts.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »
I thought so too, and just checked.  Their policy says it might but it is clearly labeled.  The bulk grains I checked didn't say +shipping, and with them in my cart I used the shipping calculator and it gave me $7.99 as an option.  It might change if you went all of the way through the process, but it looks like $7.99 works for at least some of the bulk malts.
Funny, I just did the same thing and had the exact opposite experience. They all say "+ship", and the shipping calculator reflected that. I was going to say maybe it depends on where you live, until I saw you were just up in Redmond.  ???

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 01:17:36 pm »
Funny, I just did the same thing and had the exact opposite experience. They all say "+ship", and the shipping calculator reflected that. I was going to say maybe it depends on where you live, until I saw you were just up in Redmond.  ???
Maybe it is grain dependent?  I checked the Crisp Brown Malt and Canada Pale Malt.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 01:23:19 pm »
Maybe it is grain dependent?  I checked the Crisp Brown Malt and Canada Pale Malt.
Every single one under Ingredients -> Grain Malts -> Grain Sacks says the same thing for me. Very strange. Maybe time for you to stock up.  ;D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 01:59:36 pm »

Yes...I checked with them and it's definitely $7.99. At least for one sack...may be more for multiple sacks.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 02:03:28 pm »
Maybe it is grain dependent?  I checked the Crisp Brown Malt and Canada Pale Malt.
Every single one under Ingredients -> Grain Malts -> Grain Sacks says the same thing for me. Very strange. Maybe time for you to stock up.  ;D
Yeah, I see that too.  But when I go Ingredients -> Grain Malts -> Base Malts, pick one, then pick 55lbs of it, it doesn't say +ship and doesn't calculate out that way in my cart.  Try it, see if it works for you.

Now that I've double checked, it is only the Canada Pale Malt that gives me $7.99, and I notice that isn't listed in the Grain Sacks list.

Either way, I get good enough deals locally, either from Larry's Homebrew or if a brewer orders it for me.  I plan to check out Brew Brothers next time I'm in Portland though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 02:05:35 pm »
I thought so too, and just checked.  Their policy says it might but it is clearly labeled.  The bulk grains I checked didn't say +shipping, and with them in my cart I used the shipping calculator and it gave me $7.99 as an option.  It might change if you went all of the way through the process, but it looks like $7.99 works for at least some of the bulk malts.

Yes...I checked with them and it's definitely $7.99. At least for one sack...may be more for multiple sacks.
As long as I stick with Canada Pale Malt it stays at $7.99 for 1, 2, 5 or 100 sacks.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 02:08:17 pm »
Yup, me too. Very strange. I wonder if you could get away with it. Sounds like they left a little loophole there.

I'm looking forward to checking out Brew Brothers myself. I usually shop at Steinbart, which has been good so far, but the prices advertised online for Brew Brothers are much better. Plus I have that 10% off coupon from the NHC.  ;D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 02:10:33 pm »
Yup, me too. Very strange. I wonder if you could get away with it. Sounds like they left a little loophole there.

I'm looking forward to checking out Brew Brothers myself. I usually shop at Steinbart, which has been good so far, but the prices advertised online for Brew Brothers are much better. Plus I have that 10% off coupon from the NHC.  ;D
Lucky you! :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 03:02:04 pm »
I'm looking forward to checking out Brew Brothers myself. I usually shop at Steinbart, which has been good so far, but the prices advertised online for Brew Brothers are much better. Plus I have that 10% off coupon from the NHC.  ;D

Or they are trying to earn more business. I like NB.  :)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 03:03:10 pm »
I thought so too, and just checked.  Their policy says it might but it is clearly labeled.  The bulk grains I checked didn't say +shipping, and with them in my cart I used the shipping calculator and it gave me $7.99 as an option.  It might change if you went all of the way through the process, but it looks like $7.99 works for at least some of the bulk malts.

As long as I stick with Canada Pale Malt it stays at $7.99 for 1, 2, 5 or 100 sacks.
Even better yet.  :)
Ron Price

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 03:42:46 pm »
I will also recommend if you have other brewers in the area, investigate asking a local craft brewer to add sacks to his order for you or even talk to one of the distributors.

Some folks I know get 2 pallets delivered to their business (a print shop) and that's how I can get my hands on Maris Otter malt for ~$0.37 / lb.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison