Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt running low.....  (Read 7750 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Malt running low.....
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:53 am »
I am down to my last 30 pounds of base malt.......

Where's the best deal on grain right now?

A while ago a new web-vendor was discussed with very good prices/free shipping. What was the URL again, and how did that pan out?

Thanks.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Malt running low.....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:57:06 am »
http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/

The prices include shipping.  I bought a sack shortly after they opened and was pleased with the experience.  Shipping was quick and I got what I ordered.  I was going to buy another sack a couple weeks or so but they were out of what I wanted.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:26:42 pm »
7 Bridges is having a sale on all their organic products through the 16th of this month. 15% off.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:22:54 pm »
I am down to my last 30 pounds of base malt.......

Where's the best deal on grain right now?

A while ago a new web-vendor was discussed with very good prices/free shipping. What was the URL again, and how did that pan out?

Thanks.

Seems like I remember you having the hookup at a brewpub. Maybe it was just for MO, IDK...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:29:17 pm »
30 lbs.!  I would be in complete panic mode.

I have unopened sacks of Weyerman Bohemian Pilsner, Crisp Maris Otter, and MaltEurop 2-row at the present.

I have opened sacks (with anywhere from 10-40 lbs. of malt left in them) of Global Pilsner, MaltEurop 2-row, Gambrinus Wheat, and Gleneagle Maris Otter.

Life is good.  Although it would be better with a sack of Vienna in stock.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:00:03 pm »
30 lbs.!  I would be in complete panic mode.I have unopened sacks of Weyerman Bohemian Pilsner, Crisp Maris Otter, and MaltEurop 2-row at the present.

I have opened sacks (with anywhere from 10-40 lbs. of malt left in them) of Global Pilsner, MaltEurop 2-row, Gambrinus Wheat, and Gleneagle Maris Otter.

Life is good.  Although it would be better with a sack of Vienna in stock.

I would be too :)

Oscar...have you ordered from North Country Malt before?
Ron Price

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:58:41 pm »
30 lbs.!  I would be in complete panic mode.I have unopened sacks of Weyerman Bohemian Pilsner, Crisp Maris Otter, and MaltEurop 2-row at the present.

Life is good.  Although it would be better with a sack of Vienna in stock.

I would be too :)

Oscar...have you ordered from North Country Malt before?

I thought they weren't selling to homebrewers anymore?

That being said, Brew Brothers, which some of you probably saw around NHC, apparently has really good prices (). Shipping seems decent too, although they're semi local to me (30 minute drive), so I think I'm going to check them out here soon.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:35:47 pm »

They do if you were a customer prior to the change in policy. In other words if you were "grandfathered in".
Ron Price

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:47:49 pm »
i checked on their prices and i could buy from northernbrewer and pay for the shipping for less than they charged.

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 10:26:13 am »

They do if you were a customer prior to the change in policy. In other words if you were "grandfathered in".
I ordered some hops from them a couple years ago. So I guess that counts. Do they have a price list anywhere? I think they have a warehouse in Vancouver, WA - right across the river. I wonder if I could go there and pick some up.

i checked on their prices and i could buy from northernbrewer and pay for the shipping for less than they charged.
Who is "they"? North Country?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 10:42:06 am »

I ordered some hops from them a couple years ago. So I guess that counts. Do they have a price list anywhere? I think they have a warehouse in Vancouver, WA - right across the river. I wonder if I could go there and pick some up.

You'll need to call them and get your customer password. You will then be able to view their pricing online.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:44:49 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 10:59:39 am »
Good to know. I may give that a try, I may not. Do you happen to know general price ranges? I'm curious if it's worth the trouble seeing as I can get them pretty cheap locally. (GW 2-row: $29. Best pils: $45. Weyermann pils: $39)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 11:23:52 am »
Good to know. I may give that a try, I may not. Do you happen to know general price ranges? I'm curious if it's worth the trouble seeing as I can get them pretty cheap locally. (GW 2-row: $29. Best pils: $45. Weyermann pils: $39)

its not worth your while - I bought Best Pils for around $34 on my last order and then paid around $25 in shipping.  But your shipping is going to be more I would assume given your locale.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 11:38:42 am »

its not worth your while - I bought Best Pils for around $34 on my last order and then paid around $25 in shipping.  But your shipping is going to be more I would assume given your locale.
Thanks Blatz. $25 shipping for a single bag? Or for several? If the latter then that isn't bad, but you'r right - if they're shipping from the main warehouse then it would be more for me.

While we're on the topic, is Best that much better than Weyermann? I've heard nothing but rave reviews but haven't tried it yet. Always had good results with Weyermann, and they treated us well when we visited last year too.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 12:06:07 pm »

Thanks Blatz. $25 shipping for a single bag? Or for several? If the latter then that isn't bad, but you'r right - if they're shipping from the main warehouse then it would be more for me.

While we're on the topic, is Best that much better than Weyermann? I've heard nothing but rave reviews but haven't tried it yet. Always had good results with Weyermann, and they treated us well when we visited last year too.

$25 per single bag.

I prefer Best to Weyermann, but I have no qualms using Weyermann.  Best just has a richness that Weyermann doesn't.  I've been digging a blend of Weyermann and Best recently in my lighter lagers - ryan6458 turned me on to that - its good stuff!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281