Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH meter - what else is needed?  (Read 6605 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
pH meter - what else is needed?
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:56:34 am »
My wife is getting me a Milwaukee MW101 meter for my birthday coming up.  But I can't tell what comes with it and what other solutions I should get along with it.

She is buying through amazon since its pretty cheap - any advice would be helpful.

Tx
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: pH meter - what else is needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:59:29 am »
You'll need the two calibration solutions (4.0 and 7.0 buffers) and storage solution.  Other than that you should be good to go.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:00:04 am »
You'll need two calibration solutions, 4.01 and 7.01 and also some storage solution.  You can make your own storage solution with KCl and the 4.01 buffer but I just bought the premade solution.  There is also a cleaning solution but I didn't get any of that.

edit: sniped by tygo! :)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
Paul...I have the same meter and love it. It should come with 4 and 7 solutions. I use the White Labs vials for storing the probe and the solutions. I keep the soulutions in my cellar for cool storage. The meter is really easy to use and pretty darn accurate IMO. I store the probe in "tap water" as per the manufacturers recommendation (don't use distilled water for storage).

I take a small sample of the mash and quickly chill it down to RT. The meter responds very quickly. I get a steady reading within 10 seconds. I use distilled water and salts to build my water profiles then add the grain and wait 10 min before I take a reading. This instrument is probably one of the most valuable tools in my brewery.

Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:40:55 pm »
They now recommend storing it in "storage solution".

MW101 Manual: "After completing measurements, switch the meter off and store the electrode with a few drops of storage solution (MA9015) in the protective cap."
Brew on

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:48:58 pm »

MW101 Manual: "After completing measurements, switch the meter off and store the electrode with a few drops of storage solution (MA9015) in the protective cap."

That must have just changed.

I spoke to a Milwaukee rep about a month or two ago and his recommendation was "tap water".
Ron Price

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:40:54 pm »

That must have just changed.

I spoke to a Milwaukee rep about a month or two ago and his recommendation was "tap water".

I have this pH meter, and the package I bought came with a bottle of storage solution and a silicone protective cap that holds a bit of solution in contact with the probe.   So, certainly use that stuff if you have it.

Otherwise, tap water is better than distilled.

You'll probably want to get some additional calibration solution (4.01 and 7.01).  You can get it by the bottle, or you can get it in the little 20ml foil sachets.  I prefer the sachets because they are dead simple to use:  Just cut off the top and dunk the probe straight in.   

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:47:58 pm »
What is the shelf life for the reference solutions once opened, and how often to people calibrate?  My LHBS sells the sachets as well as bottles of the solutions.  I like the idea of the sachets, and I think you can order them in bulk, but I presume they are meant for single use.  I can see the attraction in getting the bottles of the solution, but only if they don't go bad after a short amount of time.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 01:58:32 pm »
My bottles usually have a "best by" date over a year from the purchase date.
Brew on

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 02:59:38 pm »
cool - they had a package deal (4.01+7.01+storage) on sale, so that's what I told her to get - thanks fellas.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline millstone

• Cellarman
  • Cedar Lake IN
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:34:57 pm »
blatz, please post the Amazon link...

thanks

tom

edited for spelling

Offline blatz

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »
I store mine in the green General Hydroponics 7.01 calibration fluid. It also says "storage solution" on the label. Was emphatically advised not to use distilled or tap water to store the meter probe in.

I use the meter often and don't need to calibrate it very much.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 08:42:21 pm »
I've found that the calibration holds pretty steady over time.  I used to calibrate before each use but since it doesn't seem to drift I only do it occasionally now.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:15 am »
What is the shelf life for the reference solutions once opened, and how often to people calibrate? 

I calibrate every time I use my meter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell