Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sam Adams Noble Pils  (Read 23288 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Sam Adams Noble Pils
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 05:08:23 pm »
I thought it was great last year and the one I'm having right now is great as well. Since it's only a 24oz draft I'll have to have another to ensure the quality!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:26 pm »
Cannot edit off my phone. If I wasn't about to pop with dinner I'd gopher another $4 24oz tonight. Too stuffed to imbibe any more tonight!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2011, 03:43:25 am »
I just finished a sixer over the week.  Tasty, but I think the spiciness is over the top, at least when compared with Trumer, Aktien, or Bitburger. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2011, 05:22:53 am »
I was at the beer store last night and saw a new display of this beer. They had about 40 cases of this beer stacked into a pyramid in one of the windows. I should have picked up a six pack now that I think of it. I really liked last years batch.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 12:36:52 pm »
It's a pretty darn good beer. I still think it differs slightly from last year. A bit earthy for my tastes- but not overpowering. Easy for me to say but I'd like to see it with a hint more of citrus-type hop character to wake it up a bit.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 02:16:32 pm »
It's a pretty darn good beer. I still think it differs slightly from last year. A bit earthy for my tastes- but not overpowering. Easy for me to say but I'd like to see it with a hint more of citrus-type hop character to wake it up a bit.

But then it wouldn't be Noble (hops) Pils.  I too think it's sweeter and has less hop bite than last year, but it's still pretty good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2011, 11:17:46 am »
spicier this year for sure.
Member #: 900000767

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2011, 08:48:17 am »
Tried this beer last winter and couldn't wait for it to come out again this year! A very unique take on a pils. Love it!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:20 am »
I had this beer a year ago and enjoyed it.  Had it again at the Indiana Winterfest on Saturday.  Still very good. The hopping is apparent and multidimensional, but not as dominant or spicy as PU.

While it is a good beer, I still have to lean to Pilsner Urquell as my preferred Pils.  More malt character comes through and the hopping is much more prominent. You have to buy it in the cardboard covered 12 packs in order to not have a skunk fest, but that's not a problem to find at my grocery store.  The price of PU isn't too bad in a 12 pack, say $14.

That said, I would still welcome the SA Noble.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline toddhert

• Cellarman
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 09:56:15 am »
I had this beer a year ago and enjoyed it.  Had it again at the Indiana Winterfest on Saturday.  Still very good. The hopping is apparent and multidimensional, but not as dominant or spicy as PU.

While it is a good beer, I still have to lean to Pilsner Urquell as my preferred Pils.  More malt character comes through and the hopping is much more prominent. You have to buy it in the cardboard covered 12 packs in order to not have a skunk fest, but that's not a problem to find at my grocery store.  The price of PU isn't too bad in a 12 pack, say $14.

That said, I would still welcome the SA Noble.

Yeah, SA is definately NOT what I think of when I hear the word "pils". I love German pilsners as well as Czech varieties and wouldn't put SA in the same category as them. Still, SA's take on "pils" is quite original, refreshing and delicious.

By the way, I've found it to be much closer (although not that close) to a Euro-pils on draft. I'd go for a draft over a bottle of this if it is available.

Offline green_dragon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2011, 11:53:06 am »
It was almost too hoppy for me and I love hoppy beers.  Not one of my fav's that's for sure.
Currently Enjoying:  Oak-aged Oatmeal Stout & what's left of my NewCastle clone
Conditioning:  None
Fermenting: Coopers Wheat Beer Kit (for the wife)
On Deck:  AHS 20th Anniversary IPA Kit

Offline samgamgee

• 1st Kit
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2011, 07:27:07 pm »
I think it compares favorably with a good German pils like Augustiner, when Augustiner is fresh. It absolutely slays every German import that we can get in the states. I see no reason to buy stale imports when you can get a fresh, hoppy pils like Noble Pils. I like Prima as well, but I think Noble Pils has better balance and is cleaner overall.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2011, 08:26:25 pm »
I think it compares favorably with a good German pils like Augustiner, when Augustiner is fresh. It absolutely slays every German import that we can get in the states. I see no reason to buy stale imports when you can get a fresh, hoppy pils like Noble Pils. I like Prima as well, but I think Noble Pils has better balance and is cleaner overall.

I like the fresh hoppiness of the flavor profile that SA projects opposed to the more laid back flavor of the imported German examples. Although, I think there is much to be said about the extended lagering character that the German varieties possess. Both SA and the German examples have positive qualities that I enjoy, but SA doesn't quite have the mellow yet distinct German Noble Hop character that is present in the imported examples.

SA doesn't have that "distinct taste" that is ever so present in the German imports but is nevertheless a most desireable American Pilsner.
Ron Price

Offline gisbrewmaster

• 1st Kit
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2011, 09:47:46 pm »
I love the Noble Pils but its second only to Victory Prima Pils for me!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2011, 10:36:52 pm »
I found the hops really understated. However on reflection, coming from Portland my scale may be skewed... slightly. Tasty though.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified