Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sam Adams Noble Pils  (Read 23281 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Sam Adams Noble Pils
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2011, 11:40:11 pm »
Finally found a six pack of Noble Pils.  Very disappointed!  Absolute junk.  Then I noticed the best if consumed before May notch.  Bummer.  I was really looking forward to drinking this beer.  It tasted like Bud Dry. 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2011, 07:12:54 am »
Finally found a six pack of Noble Pils.  Very disappointed!  Absolute junk.  Then I noticed the best if consumed before May notch.  Bummer.  I was really looking forward to drinking this beer.  It tasted like Bud Dry. 

I didn't quite like this years as much as I remember liking last years.  That said, I recall last year that it went downhill very, very quick - the bottles I had when it was first released were killer, but as they sat in the fridge over just  a few weeks, it seemed to degrade a lot - this is all from the same 12pk.  I'd still give it a go next year at the start of the season (Jan/Feb/) - YMMV.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2011, 08:09:16 am »
I also thought the hop crispness was less this year, which could have been a recipe change or perhaps oxidation.  There are still some 12 packs in the stores here, but I'm not enjoying it as much as last year.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2011, 01:30:17 pm »
I had three or four over at my dad's last weekend. Tasted pretty much the way I remembered it last year. I enjoyed it well enough. Probably my favorite SA beer.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 01:34:05 pm »

That seems a little harsh?  I have had great SA beers and bad SA beers.  However, I attribute most of the bad SA beers to improper handling, i.e., sitting on a warm shelf in the sunlight.  When Noble Pils is fresh and handled properly, it is hands down one of the better commericial pilsners on the market.  I would give it a second chance if you can find a fresh example.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 01:45:43 pm »

Sympathy. Pilsner has to be Fresh, Fresh, Fresh! or it's no good. Try it again next year, or look for 6-packs which have been kept under continuous refrigeration and cross your fingers.

We've got good access to SA products in our area, even so, I've had Noble Pils that tasted just like you described. When it's fresh, though, it's an instant classic.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 01:48:18 pm »
Very disappointed! ...I noticed the best if consumed before May notch.  Bummer.  I was really looking forward to drinking this beer.

...I attribute most of the bad SA beers to improper handling...  When Noble Pils is fresh and handled properly, it is hands down one of the better commericial pilsners on the market.  I would give it a second chance if you can find a fresh example.

My point exactly. I see many beer knowledgeable people posting good reviews of this beer. I waited a long time with great anticipation, and was snookered by poor handling. 

And yes, it was pretty harsh in flavor...  :P
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 02:10:58 pm »
Had this on tap the other day when I was in St. Louis.  Had 4 big drafts to make sure I got a good flavour profile and I liked them all.  Certainly a very hop-forward beer compared to the few other pils I've had.  I liked it quite a bit and would get it again if I ever saw it.  I think it would be a nice, occasional summer beer.