Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sam Adams Noble Pils  (Read 23280 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Sam Adams Noble Pils
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:15:07 am »
Got it this weekend - wow - its excellent! Easily my favorite SA beer - right up there with Boston Lager. Nice floral hop aroma, some pils malt wafting through the nose. Beautiful gold color with appropriate white head. Nice balancing bitterness and slight bready, crackery malt flavor.

I really liked this - its very different from Prima - doesn't have that bright hop aroma nor the bitterness and is smoother- I'd place it somewhere between Pils Urquell and Prima in terms of bitterness and general hoppiness. Each has their own place, IMO.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Sam Adams Noble Pils
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:52 am »
I bought a sixer last week and loved it.  I caught myself trying to drink all 6 that afternoon.  It really is a great beer, too bad it's a seasonal.  I wish they brewed it year round.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline blatz

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:14:11 am »
one thing I forgot to mention, at ~$13 per 12 pack, versus $9-10 for a sixer of anything else, including Prima, its priced right!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 12:54:23 pm »
one thing I forgot to mention, at ~$13 per 12 pack, versus $9-10 for a sixer of anything else, including Prima, its priced right!
Damn, I paid 9$ for my sixer so it can't really be a session type everyday beer.  I'll look around and see if it comes in 12 packs.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:59:28 pm »
OK
Where are you guys finding Noble Pils?
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 05:23:25 pm »
OK

Total Wine by my house

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:39:12 pm »
I'll have to keep an eye out (no pun intended) for that one. Thanks for the review.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 07:21:16 am »
I bought a sixer last week and loved it.  I caught myself trying to drink all 6 that afternoon.  It really is a great beer, too bad it's a seasonal.  I wish they brewed it year round.

This used to be one of my favorite SA beers about 10-15 years ago. It used to be a year round brew!

Offline blatz

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 07:45:44 am »
This used to be one of my favorite SA beers about 10-15 years ago. It used to be a year round brew!

keith - I believe you're thinking of the Golden Pilsner, which was one of my faves as well, but this seems pretty different though I'm going on memory and not true comparison.  I actually seem to enjoy this more than I remember enjoying the Golden Pils, if that makes any sense.

Who knows though - I was just out of college back then, and although a beer geek at the time, not nearly the geek I am today.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 09:18:10 am »
Yep. You are right. Just dawned on me before I even saw your response and I was coming back here to mention that. I don't know if they are even the same as while I have seen the Noble Pils I haven't tried it yet.

The Golden Pils was pretty darn good for, considering it used to be the freshest "imported" pilsner on the shelf back then. And they made a big deal of having "Noble hops", I believe it was Mittflefruh - which I also believe SA uses for its noble Pils and Imperial Pils.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:54:55 am »
OK
I got it at the Albertsons grocery store in Carlsbad NM.  It's sad but that's the closest thing to a decent beer store for 150 miles.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 11:18:05 am »
Just picked up a 12 pack of this at the grocery store.  Good stuff.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 05:11:28 pm »
Just saw the TV commercial for this.  I thought that it was really well done.  I especially like the map of Germany overlaid with all of the noble hops names / with the family-crest looking things.

Pretty cool.  I bet non-brewers even appreciate this kind of stuff!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 08:16:10 am »
Its okay I guess but I think its overhopped and finishes astringent rather than dry.  jmo... 

Offline dtblank

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 04:58:40 pm »
Really enjoyed this beer.  Probably one of the best beers SA makes IMO.  They mention that they use all 5 noble hops? I only know of 4 (Tettnanger, Hallertauer Mittelfrueh, Spalter, and Saaz), which one am I missing.  Also wondering if anyone knows which hop is giving the slight citrus/tropical fruit notes that I'm picking up.  Wasn't aware of a noble hop giving this flavor?