Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: canning  (Read 9868 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
canning
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:47:04 am »
I just got a preasure canner! woohoo! gonna order 25 lbs of tomatoes while they are good and can them whole! What else? I like canned peaches but my wife doesn't gonna can starter wort. beans maybe? having canned black beans and refried would make life easier. Salsa would be cool but I can't imagine you can get it to stay really fresh tasting.

how bout y'all?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: canning
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:52:53 am »
I usually can tomatoes, peppers, string beans, salsa, etc... I still have tomatoes leftover from last year, so I didn't can tomatoes, but I pickled jalapeno peppers, hot cherry peppers and sweet cherry peppers. Plus I made some scotch bonnet pepper sauce. It's going to be a warm winter in my house this year.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:11 am »
Great! I haven't done any canning per se but do have the mason jars and two pressure cookers. Not sure exactly how to do it. You must document pictorally... :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:00:56 pm »
One word --  Chow-chow  (Ok, maybe that's two words :) )
Joe

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »
One word --  Chow-chow  (Ok, maybe that's two words :) )

You an Arkansas boy?

I need to get my cucumbers started a-pickeling. I hope it's not too late and they've got thick skins. I'll eat them anyway.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:25:49 pm »
making my annual batch of smoked pickled okra today when I get home from work.

and, you don't need a pressure cooker for canning.  ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:09:40 pm »
making my annual batch of smoked pickled okra today when I get home from work.

and, you don't need a pressure cooker for canning.  ;)

Hmmm okra. I love me some pickled okra. Have not had it smoked though.

True you don't need a preasure cooker for canning many things but there are a few with a Ph to high to ensure no botulism that are safest to process well above the 212* boiling water or steam processing can provide. For me one of the driving forces is whole peeled tomatoes. Some tomoatoes are acidic enough but some aren't.

Great! I haven't done any canning per se but do have the mason jars and two pressure cookers. Not sure exactly how to do it. You must document pictorally... :D
I will do my best! havn't really gotten around to starting a flickr account or whatever but we will see.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:22:14 pm »
I've been canning all my life (got 4 pressure cookers including 2 of my Mom's). I learned the art from my mother and grandmother and have done about every vegatable there is.

Corn, green beans, tomatoes and things made from tomatoes like soup mix and salsa stay the freshest tasting to me. YMMV.

Don't forget that a pressure canner is not just for canning. I cook 2 or 3 meals a week using one.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:11 pm »
So if canning in the PC does the water have to be up to the rim of the jar?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:14:57 pm »

my book says 2-3 inches of water
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 12:21:08 am »

BooK? Which one?

Also with the lids on? More info!

Anyway, I like the idea of canning my own beans and soup. Stews and braised short-ribs. I think home-canned will taste better than commercial, which alway seems acidic to me no matter what is contained. Prepared and froze most of my tomato crop this year. Though not enough to last till next year.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 12:30:16 am »

BooK? Which one?

Also with the lids on? More info!

Anyway, I like the idea of canning my own beans and soup. Stews and braised short-ribs. I think home-canned will taste better than commercial, which alway seems acidic to me no matter what is contained. Prepared and froze most of my tomato crop this year. Though not enough to last till next year.

just the book that came with the canner. It is the FAGOR home canning cookbook. (my last canning set was from ball so it came with the Ball Blue Book, I swear to god)

Yes with lids on. the basic procedure is (for pickles let's say cause I am more familiar)...

1) sterilize jars in boiling water
2) while they are still hot add cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, okra (mmm okra) raw and washed.
3) pour hot pickling liquid over to within .25 inches of rim. make sure no bubbles (they make little 'bubble removers' but I am sure you can figure something out)
4) wipe rim with clean towel
5) place the flat discy part of the two part lid in place. and then screw on the band but just barely tight.
6) place in canner, seal and heat to preasure. process for however long it says to in the book or recipe
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 06:54:44 am »

You asking about the water inside or outside the canning jar?  If inside, it's like morticia says, fill it to within a quarter inch or so of the rim (I usually fill to the "shoulder" of the jar).  If outside, you only need enough water in the canner such that it doesn't all boil off before you're done - the steam is doing the work (my canner says to add 3 qts).
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 11:48:45 am »
I've got a bunch of Hatch chiles that I roasted and peeled. Now I want to can most of them. Ideas of how much salt and lemon or lime juice to add per jar? Say half-pint jars.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:53 am »
I've got a bunch of Hatch chiles that I roasted and peeled. Now I want to can most of them. Ideas of how much salt and lemon or lime juice to add per jar? Say half-pint jars.

From New Mexico State extention service

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_e/E-308.pdf

refering to green chilis but...

As a general rule you should find a tested recipe and follow it more or less exactly for canning as they are configured to prevent dangerous microbial contamination

**EDIT** another good resource with guidlines for lots of different preservation methods and ingredients http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:07:24 pm by morticaixavier »
-A Einstein

- J Joyce