Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Local beer recommendations - MI, MN, WI, SD, ND  (Read 11643 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Local beer recommendations - MI, MN, WI, SD, ND
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »
Grumpy Troll is worth stopping for the food, but IMO, not for the beer unless something has changed over the past few years.

From the Madtown WI area I like:
Lake Louie
Central Waters
Ale Asylum (brewpub)
Great Date (brewpub)
Tyranena

of course NG...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 05:44:45 am »
Grumpy Troll is worth stopping for the food, but IMO, not for the beer unless something has changed over the past few years.

From the Madtown WI area I like:
Lake Louie
Central Waters
Ale Asylum (brewpub)
Great Date (brewpub)
Tyranena

of course NG...
Is that  Freudian typo in Great Dane  ;D Ale Asylum also bottles and I always bring some Hopilicious back when I road trip to Wisconsin.

I really like the Old Fashioned in Madison.  They have over 40 taps that are exclusively WI beers and a ton more in bottles.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 05:58:45 am »
Any recommendations near Milwaukee other than Lakefront? If you had to choose between going to Lakefront and Northern Brewer versus Redamak burgers and Bell's in Michigan, which would you pick?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 08:39:59 am »
IMO you cannot beat Redamak's and Bell's, but I'm partial to SW Michigan and have never been to Lakefront.

But you've got me thinking about burgers...  Lots of memories at Redamak's.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 09:10:36 am »
The newest micro in MN is Steel Toe Brewing in St. Louis Park (Minneapolis burb). They are still at the point of just having growler sales on Friday's 5:30-7:30. Tonight is just the third Friday and the first night they will have more than one variety available. Can't say it's a "must have" yet, but Jason Schoneman (sp?) is the brewer and he's got some chops...
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 02:48:39 pm »
If you're in my neck of the woods in Wausau, WI; Red Eye Brewing Company (http://www.redeyebrewing.com/) and Bull Falls Brewery (http://www.bullfallsbrewery.com/page.aspx?index=00000001, two blocks from Bull Falls Homebrew Depot) are very good. There is also a Great Dane up in Wausau, but you will be better off visiting the Madison location IMHO.

If you're going through Stevens Point, WI on Highway 51/39, Oso Brewery (http://www.osobrewing.com/Home.php) is right off the highway and brews wonderful beer as well as operates one the state's great homebrew shops, Point Brew Supply.  There is a restaurant in the same area called "Christian's Bistro" (http://www.christiansbistro.com/) that is operated by a Chef who trained under Emeril.  From what I've heard this is one of the area's best restaurants.
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »
I'll be near Eau Claire in WI this weekend and am planning to check out Lazy Monk Brewing which is a local brewery in those parts.

He's also active on the forum.  Their website lists the places you can get their beer.
Thank you for mentioning us.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 09:09:27 pm »
So this week is Wisconsin/Minnesota.  Had to skip over Michigan but I'll be back.
Today I had lunch at Grumpy Troll and I agree, eat there but don't expect much from the beer.  It was OK but far from great.  I had Surly Furious with supper and I liked it a lot. 
The best beer I've come across so far, to my tastes at least, is Moon Man from New Glarus.  I don't have time to do a brewery tour but next time I'll have to stop by New Glarus and check things out.  I really like the hoppy flavour of this pale ale without the intense bitterness of an IPA.  Very nice.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 12:56:10 pm »
This is a timely thread as my lovely wife and I will be spending a week in Michigan's lower peninsula early next month.  We will fly in and out of Detroit and so far plan to stay in Traverse City, Holland and Ann Arbor.  Can anyone recommend a scenic town for the first night or two on Lake Huron?  I see that Tawas City has a good brew pub and it's not a long drive from Detroit, so what's the vibe there?  Or is there a more scenic little town not a long drive from Detroit, since we will be tired from the airport ordeal that day.

Looking forward to some cooler weather after working through the Florida heat all summer.  Fall colors, apples, lots of good craft beer..... :)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 01:50:41 pm »
There is a brewry in Spearfish SD( west river), not sure if they ship east river or not.  They are called Crew Peak Brewing and if you can find some 11th hour IPA pick some up or any of their other beers.  11th Hour is my favorite though.
AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 10:16:20 am »
This is a timely thread as my lovely wife and I will be spending a week in Michigan's lower peninsula early next month.  We will fly in and out of Detroit and so far plan to stay in Traverse City, Holland and Ann Arbor.  Can anyone recommend a scenic town for the first night or two on Lake Huron?  I see that Tawas City has a good brew pub and it's not a long drive from Detroit, so what's the vibe there?  Or is there a more scenic little town not a long drive from Detroit, since we will be tired from the airport ordeal that day.

Looking forward to some cooler weather after working through the Florida heat all summer.  Fall colors, apples, lots of good craft beer..... :)
Can't help you with the Lake Huron question, but I can recommend a great artery clogging breakfast place in Holland, called the Windmill. Classic little diner. The Holland Lighthouse is fun too. Follow the directions here to get to the south shore entrance. That way you can walk right out to it, but you have to know about this and ask for permission to enter a private development. They have to let you in, though, as the lighthouse is government property:
http://holland.org/locations/372-big-red-lighthouse

New Holland is great and I've heard mixed reviews of Saugatuck Brewing, which is not too far south of Holland. Saugatuck is worth a visit for the artsy vibe that is completely different than Holland.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 12:03:29 pm »
Jeff - What is in Tawas City?  I am not as familiar with the Lake Huron side for breweries.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 01:13:34 pm »
Jeff - What is in Tawas City?  I am not as familiar with the Lake Huron side for breweries.
Wiltses is the name of a brewpub in that town, but I just googled their site and it says it is suspended.  I was looking for a town and a beer not too far from Detroit on the Huron side and that popped up.  It's about a 150 mile drive.
Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 02:31:46 pm »
The following might help for your trip plans. 
http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/

Wiltse's is more in Oscoda.  Using Brwery Guide just under the main banner in the above link, I found this link, looks like they may still be open.  I would call.
http://wiltsebrewpub.com/index.php
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »
There is a brewry in Spearfish SD( west river), not sure if they ship east river or not.  They are called Crew Peak Brewing and if you can find some 11th hour IPA pick some up or any of their other beers.  11th Hour is my favorite though.
maybe just a typo but its crowpeak. ;)