Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Presidential Beer  (Read 3658 times)

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
Presidential Beer
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:36:26 am »
I just came across this Daily Mail article.

US President Barack Obama has apparently been homebrewing at the White House for the better part of this year, even using honey from the White House garden beehives!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Presidential Beer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:00:40 am »
Yup, although I think it's safe to assume that it's one of the White House chefs doing the brewing as I imagine the President might be a tad bit too busy to bust out the mash paddle himself! :)

I think the first we heard of this was back around the Super Bowl.

Now, no matter what sort of political views you and I and all the rest of the stooges hold, it's pretty damn cool that there's homebrew happening in the White House.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:50:47 am »
Now, no matter what sort of political views you and I and all the rest of the stooges hold, it's pretty damn cool that there's homebrew happening in the White House.

I'll second that notion.

Very cool indeed.  :)
Ron Price

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:07:23 am »
Yup, although I think it's safe to assume that it's one of the White House chefs doing the brewing as I imagine the President might be a tad bit too busy to bust out the mash paddle himself! :)

I think the first we heard of this was back around the Super Bowl.

Agreed.  I remember back during the superbowl, AHA said they were gonna try and get the recipe.  Anyone know if that happened?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:07:34 am »
Let's hope it's somewhat of a lower alcohol beer.  "Hey, anyone know what this big red button does?"  :P
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:20:03 am »
Agreed.  I remember back during the superbowl, AHA said they were gonna try and get the recipe.  Anyone know if that happened?

I recently heard that the White House brewer wants to perfect the recipe before releasing it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:51:37 am »
The original beer they made used honey.  My sister knows the guy who keeps the bees at the White House.  He works there and normally keeps bees as a hobby, so he asked if he could keep some on the White House grounds.  They were OK with it as long as they got use of the honey.  Apparently, it is a popular gift to visiting dignitaries.  I believe she told me that it was one of the White House chefs who makes the beer.

I think they should have another Beer Summit, but this time bring down Charlie P. and the AHA crew so that everyone could swap their homebrew.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:24 pm »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 06:20:09 pm »
I read about this the other day. According to the article, It's Obama who went out and bought the equipment and started brewing. (maybe subsequent batches are being made by the cook?) Also according to the article, he is the first presidential homebrewer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 06:36:41 pm »
I read about this the other day. According to the article, It's Obama who went out and bought the equipment and started brewing. (maybe subsequent batches are being made by the cook?) Also according to the article, he is the first presidential homebrewer.

I'd like to see that article if you can find it.  It certainly contradicts what I've heard.  This article http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2011/03/obamas-make-history-with-homebrewed.html makes it sound like it's the chefs who are brewing.  And I certainly hope he has more important things to do than buying equipment and brewing beer.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:40:04 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 06:47:50 pm »
What I seem to recall is that the President paid for the equipment out of pocket, but I don't think he gets to go shopping anymore!

Got to wonder who got the order with a mailing address of "1600 Pennsylvania Ave"  and what they thought. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 07:45:34 pm »
When the Alabama legislator heard the HB bill one rep said that only low class people homebrew.  I wish our sponsor would have had this anecdote: the President and hero/Medal of Honor winner are the type of people who enjoy HOMEBREW. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »
I would love to see the setup and a recipe detail.

I wonder if they made a starter.  :)

Very cool stuff!
Ron Price

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 06:07:23 am »
Forget the Democrat vs. Republican battles in Washington... Our nation has moved on to Batch Spargers vs. Fly Spargers!
Mark Gres

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 09:02:16 am »

I'd like to see that article if you can find it.  It certainly contradicts what I've heard.  This article http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2011/03/obamas-make-history-with-homebrewed.html makes it sound like it's the chefs who are brewing.  And I certainly hope he has more important things to do than buying equipment and brewing beer.

And what could possibly be more important than a new boilermaker pot, and spending an afternoon playing with it?