Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite Scoresheet Comment  (Read 11856 times)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: Favorite Scoresheet Comment
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »
My favorites are:

1:I would gladly drink more than one  :)

2: I get an alcohol warmth with every sip.

The beer won a gold medal by the way!

The scoresheet for NHC second round has these listed as checkboxes for overall impression...

I would finish this sample
I would drink a pint of this beer
I would pay money for this beer
Please send me the recipe!!!

Best comment I've ever got

and yes I did
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:07 am »
I find most of the people who make the waste beer and money comments either got back sheets they felt substandard from a previous competition or cannot brew to style to save their butt... ;D

How did you find that?

As was stated, from YEARS of experience. I assume you have a point somewhere, I'm old, spell it out... ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2010, 10:30:51 am »
Assuming I have a point is rarely a good idea.

But given the choice of data or opinions, I tend to put more stock in the former. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2010, 05:24:26 pm »
I'm old

You're no where near as old as you want to be. I did enjoy judging that flight with you the other day...all four of the beers ;D

I even learned someting about underfilled bottles
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2010, 05:33:53 pm »
My best line came from an informal tasting In hosted a year or two ago when I won the NB forum Christmas beer pass. It was " your beer smells like oatmeal cookies,  but tastes like ass"

One thing I have noticed has not been mentioned in this thread yet, and it is no excuse for judges. Sometimes due to poor management of a competition judges have to judge two flights of above average alcohol content beers, and the comments on the second flight beers may suffer due to this.

I have had to judge both 16 a-e (Belgian and French ales), and India Pale Ale a-c on the same day, and when the 16 flight is dominated by big "E's" (Belgian specialty) and IPAs are mostly American and imperials the comments got a lot sloppier than I wanted them to. But then again so did my overall attitude ::)
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 06:14:46 am »

But given the choice of data or opinions, I tend to put more stock in the former. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

I'm guessing you are of the latter vintage as far as reasons for not entering comps  ;D

There is one other reason to not enter competition and it is the reason I personally don't enter anymore, well, actually three reasons. 1 - I have enough ribbons at home I don't need anymore, 2 - I am my beers harshest critic, 3 - you don't get to sit on the BOS panel when you enter and win your category.

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 06:27:56 am »
I understand what you're saying Denny, but when a beer is listed as a commercial example of a particular style then one would think you should be able to "clone it" and do reasonably well in a competition.

Can't disagree with that, Jeff.
Really,
Try doing a Black Cat clone. Mine was dead on. An excellent mild.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style11.php#1a

BAM!!!
Too dark for style.
It's not just "a" reference beer. It's the FIRST reference beer.

And I have put down on a score sheet "I'd love the recipe for this beer".
Nobody's taken me up on the request yet. :(
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 06:32:41 am »
Too dark for style? Was it pitch black like a swarzbier? Anyway, the commercial examples listed are not necessarily 50 pt beers, just ones which are representative of the style.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 07:46:51 am »

I'm guessing you are of the latter vintage as far as reasons for not entering comps  ;D

There is one other reason to not enter competition and it is the reason I personally don't enter anymore, well, actually three reasons. 1 - I have enough ribbons at home I don't need anymore, 2 - I am my beers harshest critic, 3 - you don't get to sit on the BOS panel when you enter and win your category.

No reason to go trying to hurt my feelings now. You have a great day.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2010, 09:44:43 am »
Too dark for style? Was it pitch black like a swarzbier? Anyway, the commercial examples listed are not necessarily 50 pt beers, just ones which are representative of the style.
Not as bad a swartzbeir, but it was dark, ummmm like Black Cat is supposed to be.
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.