Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why hide behind a Alias?  (Read 19851 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Why hide behind a Alias?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »
I do not remember taking my clothes off. I swear. :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 06:46:30 pm »
My real name is jlord8724 but I don't need the world knowing that so I came up with James Lorden to hide my true identity. I guess the cats out of the bag now.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 06:50:30 pm »
My real name is jlord8724 but I don't need the world knowing that so I came up with James Lorden to hide my true identity. I guess the cats out of the bag now.

Well it's nice to finally know the truth about you jlord8724...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 07:05:12 pm »
Believe it or not Corky is not my real name-that will remain hidden.  But I've been called Corky since I was a month old, that's the name that shows up in the phone book.  To everybody I'm Corky Stewart, but I still sign most legal documents with my real name.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »
I think using an alias can be a vehicle by which one gains a sense of security, in that it creates anonymity. I think an alias can also create a sense of pride in one's character. I find that using an alias is just a handle. There are more and more folks using aliases and it seems to be more the norm but I'm not counting.

I think there are other reasons for using an alias, of which some have been previously stated, but overall I find it to be the way of the great wide world of the interwebs. Some like to remain anonymous and others want you to know who they are and where they came from.

Ron Price

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 07:38:44 pm »
.  Kind of sad I mentioned it.  Very disappointing.

nothing to be sad about. as a mentioned. i tend to agree it is nice to at least have a first name. i just don't know it will modify anyones behavior. although i am more likely to be politer to people i think i know...

Maybe some of us are in hiding from the governement for a crime we didn't commit.

um yeah, didn't commit, ...

I've never meet a single person in jail that's guilty! Until they sober up and realize...ya we're all guilty, and in need of a shower...but not that kind of shower!  Moving on...moving on...

I don't hide behind an alias, I'm professing my love for wheat beers! I always give my first name at the end of my posts.

Cheers!
Casey
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 07:41:10 pm »
I searched my full name and found a few tidbits of info- nothing too concerning. But did a search on my "alias" and found this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Euge ::)

Are you serious?! That's not even a real phrase!

Casey
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 07:44:35 pm »
I didn't really choose my username to obfuscate my identity (John Fowler, C0817, don't have my AHA number memorized), but because it is shorter than my full name. I could put my full name in my signature but I think if you know me you know who I am on here and if you don't know me then why would my name make you take what I say more seriously?

I suppose you are talking more about the IDrinkDarkLordInMyMomsBasement type usernames than the JohnF type but ultimately I don't know 95% of the people on here and 95% don't know me and so the anonymous is fine with me.

Sometimes people can be more known by their internet handle than their real name and you can have the reverse situation where it is valuable to know their internet handle if you ever meet in person, but I digress.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »
I searched my full name and found a few tidbits of info- nothing too concerning. But did a search on my "alias" and found this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Euge ::)

Are you serious?! That's not even a real phrase!

Casey

I'm surprised as you are.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 07:53:49 pm »
As a wise friend of mine once put it, "My online footprint is big enough as it is."  

Same reason I don't use facebook.

If I can't be taken seriously because of the use of an alias I guess I'll just have to live with that.

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »
Thank-you punatic. I don't care to show up in search engines. If that makes what I have to say without credibility then don't read my posts. There are plenty of helpful people here who will interact with me minus the demand of my identity.

Hiding behind an alias? 
Not feeding data miners is more to the point.

Many of us prefer not to have everything we've ever written on the internet out there for anyone with a search engine to see - forever.  It kinda throws a wet blanket on the joking around with friends aspect of an informal forum.

On this forum, trolls get the message pretty quickly.  We're a friendly lot, and trollism is highly discouraged.

If you have a burning desire to know someone's name you can always send them a PM.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 09:01:08 pm »
kgs is a handle I use in many places--whenever I can. 2/3 of it is my family nickname (KG or Kaygee) -- better than my other family nickname, which is Pooh Bear :-) . Not trying to hide... I just like short handles and like to be consistent.

I've been on online forums since 1990, and have been moderating a very large Internet forum since 1996. AHA is one of the nicer places to hang out. Folks here generally turn the other cheek, and are helpful.

-- Karen (aka kgs)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 09:26:41 pm »
I suppose you are talking more about the IDrinkDarkLordInMyMomsBasement type usernames than the JohnF type but ultimately I don't know 95% of the people on here and 95% don't know me and so the anonymous is fine with me.

I am intrigued by this IDrinkDarkLordInMyMomsBasement user and would like to subscribe to his newsletter... got a link?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 09:31:48 pm »
I do not know how about you but I like my handle. If I would like to use my full name I would do it in first place. If you are ever in Eau Claire WI let me know. I will even give you my phone number.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 09:43:00 pm »
Boy, did Martin kick a hornets' nest or what?  

No worries Martin.  We still think you rock.  You bring a lot of good stuff to the table!

If we all thought the same way, we'd all be drinking American Light Lager.  Then there would be every reason to hide behind an alias!   ;D

As one of my favorite sayings goes, "I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner!"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:48:19 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907