Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011 SN Celebration  (Read 8874 times)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 2011 SN Celebration
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 11:09:36 am »
That's Jamil Show recipe is completely different. 5# of crystal vs. 1#. I think I'll stay with Larson's. It's a good one.

Bo - the second post in the link, not the first.  That one is the one I meant - and its not that different from the Larson recipe.

That one looks a lot better and you're right, it's not much different. I might give it a try next time. Thanks

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 12:58:46 pm »
I have a standing order for several cases of Celebration and Big Foot with the beer maven at the store where I buy most of my beer.  I give her a reminder that they are coming when the season arrives (plus samples of my homemade beverages as a tip).  She calls me when they arrive, and applies multi-case discounts where possible.  Good system - exellent beers!

Interesting theory that Celebration's recipe stays the same, but the ingredients' characteristics vary from year to year.  This would seem to suggest that they brew it by rote, instead of to taste.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »
Interesting theory that Celebration's recipe stays the same, but the ingredients' characteristics vary from year to year.  This would seem to suggest that they brew it by rote, instead of to taste.

if you mean rote in that they use the same measurements, regardless of yield or alpha acid level, that wasn't want I meant to infer - not that I know anything,  but I would find it hard to believe that they don't target the same gravity and IBU levels each time and thus make adjustments to the new crop data.  What I was getting at is the other idiosyncrasies - there is certainly a lot more to hops than alpha acid which I know you're aware. 

that's just my speculation.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline punatic

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »
No criticism of your theory intended Paul.  I was thinking out loud, as it were.  SG, IBUs, and SRM are all objectively quantifiable, but flavor and aroma are unavoidably subjective.  The yearly variations in aromas and flavors sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

European winemakers blend their wines, to maintain the flavor profile that their chateau is known for, from year to year.

I'm happy that it's Celebration time once again!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 02:41:13 pm »
I am a little concerned with the apparent desire, even among self admitted beer geeks, for computer like consistancy from year to year or batch to batch.

When dealing with high end, small batch, 'craft' wine one not only expects variations but hopes for them. obviously you hope to avoid nasty undrinkable batches, which should be pretty easy to do with beer as there are so many more variables than with wine but If I always got the same old think when I picked up some bigfoot if it tasted exactly like last years it wouldn't be nearly so much fun. I think that this is part of why Fullers changes up the recipe for the vintage ale every year.

The big boys have consistancy all wrapped up and no craft/micro/nano brewery is ever going to compete with them on that front. What the industry needs (If it really NEEDS anything given it's level of growth) is to abandon this idea of consistancy and aim, every year or every batch, at perfection. One may never acheive it but by aiming at that instead of consistancy more better beer will be made.

Just my .02. And I recognize the desirability of being able to buy a sixer of SNPA and have it taste more or less the same as the last sixer. But when I drop 30-40 bucks on a bottle of three year old burbon barrel stout from 50/50 I don't want the same beer I already have in my cellar (yeah right like I have a cellar... or that bottle of 50/50 heaven hill I bought last year. Damn that was a tasty stout)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 04:03:47 pm »
I just bought a six-pack and I really like this beer ;D ;D  Thanks for posting the recipe.  I made a fresh hop beer this year with homegrown hops (Cenntennial and Cascade) and it was the first beer that I ever made that soured.  I was disappointed, but some of my friends liked it.
Dan Chisholm

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 06:36:26 pm »
So I'm recycling my six pack carrier tonight and I see that Glissade is being replaced by Ruthless Rye IPA. Nothing on the web site yet, but I did find this
http://beernews.org/2011/10/sierra-nevada-mega-update-ruthless-rye-ipa-and-a-peek-at-2012/

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 06:55:52 pm »

They kinda do both.  I just spent the day with SN brewers and in the lab.  They extensively quantitatively test every aspect of the beer almost continually throughout production.  But they also use a sensory evaluation panel because 2 beers that measure the same might not taste the same.  So, they measure to make sure the color, IBU, microbial levels, etc. are in spec but taste to make sure the beer is what it should be.  As soon as I have time, I'll post pics of the warehouse here with Celebration cases stacked to the ceiling.

I love Celebration and look forward to it every year.  It's a treat to taste it fresh on tap at the brewery.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:39 pm »
So I'm recycling my six pack carrier tonight and I see that Glissade is being replaced by Ruthless Rye IPA. Nothing on the web site yet, but I did find this
http://beernews.org/2011/10/sierra-nevada-mega-update-ruthless-rye-ipa-and-a-peek-at-2012/

We'll get to try the rye IPA tomorrow as part of the sensory evaluation training at Beer Camp.  I'm looking forward to it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 07:02:39 pm »
We'll get to try the rye IPA tomorrow as part of the sensory evaluation training at Beer Camp.  I'm looking forward to it.

Denny, I sure am jealous...I want to go to beer camp. Hope you're having fun...I'm sure you are.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 07:17:59 pm »

Denny, I sure am jealous...I want to go to beer camp. Hope you're having fun...I'm sure you are.

Ron, you can get here by making a video and submitting it.  If it's wild and crazy enough, you're a Beer Camper!

sierrabeercamp.com/

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:03 pm »
Dang, hangin in Chico.  Nice.

Huh, I liked the Glissade, but I guess Ruthless might fit my tastes better.  Thanks for the scoop Rover!

Offline punatic

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:53 pm »
As soon as I have time, I'll post pics of the warehouse here with Celebration cases stacked to the ceiling.

You can take pictures in Heaven?!  Yeah baby!  Who knew?

I love Celebration and look forward to it every year.  It's a treat to taste it fresh on tap at the brewery.

I am so wishing that I were you right now!  Celebration is my favorite SN beer, available during my favorite season.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 10:31:43 pm »
Ron, you can get here by making a video and submitting it.  If it's wild and crazy enough, you're a Beer Camper!

sierrabeercamp.com/
Where's your video Denny?  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 10:38:45 pm »

sierrabeercamp.com/
Where's your video Denny?  :)

I didn't make one, Tom.  I had contacts!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com