Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011 SN Celebration  (Read 8873 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
2011 SN Celebration
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:51:47 pm »
Picked up a six of this at my local market this evening. I think they changed the recipe ;D

I love this beer and look forward to its release every year. It's such a great balance of malt and hops. I'm buying a couple of 12s as soon as I see them this year. It disappeared pretty fast in my neck of the woods last year. My market still has some 12s of Tumbler to get rid of, unfortunately.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: 2011 SN Celebration
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:14:16 pm »
I'll be buying some of this beer in the coming Holiday season. I love SNCA...what a great recipe.
Ron Price

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:12 pm »
Haven't seen it around these parts yet, but I always look forward to SNCA.  It's a real gem, pretty darn close to perfection.
I always hear, every year, comments that they've changed the recipe....but I wonder if it isn't just year to year variation in the raw ingredients.
Has anyone at SN ever commented on whether the main recipe has actually changed (or not) over the years?

In any case, this beer has never disappointed me.  It's been a fave of mine since it first became available in NJ.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:30 pm »
I just came back to my hotel room after drinking it at the brewery.  I can tell you that the recipe is the same as it's always been.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:01:03 pm »
A few years back they must have double hopped it.  That year was twice as good as usual.

I love this time of year.  Celebration has arrived and Big Foot is #1 on the runway!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:48:16 am »
but I wonder if it isn't just year to year variation in the raw ingredients.
Has anyone at SN ever commented on whether the main recipe has actually changed (or not) over the years?

i really think that is all it is - according to SN, the recipe has always been to use the first of the newly dried hop harvest - so there is bound to be natural variation - couple that with a little taste amnesia since we don't have it year round and there you go.

hell I remember Centennials being subpar in either 2009 or maybe even last year - made my Centennial heavy beers a lot more resiny and harsh than in year's past.  No reason it doesn't happen to the pros.

Bought my annual case last night, though I had a few bottles last weekend - great as always - its super fresh right now and is really nice and complex if you let it warm up a bit before indulging - looking forward to enjoying it more this fall!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:11:47 am »
I keep reading all of these comments and laughing. Since this is a homebrew site, make your own SNCA and you'll have the consistency you want. It's a very simple recipe and all over the web. Dean ????, last name fails me, has nailed the recipe, IMO.

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:34 am »
I keep reading all of these comments and laughing. Since this is a homebrew site, make your own SNCA and you'll have the consistency you want. It's a very simple recipe and all over the web. Dean ????, last name fails me, has nailed the recipe, IMO.

its Dean Larson.  Good recipe, but I am more inclined to try the CYBI recipe given by Steve Dressler next time I'm inclined to brew a clone - seems more intuitive.

As for buying it - this is one of the beers I just enjoy purchasing -  I do brew SNCA-ish beers on occasion, but I usually get my fill once a year for $30/case.  Its a very different beer than my house IPA which is much more southern california style.  Perhaps its just nostalgia.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:21:23 am »

its Dean Larson.  Good recipe, but I am more inclined to try the CYBI recipe given by Steve Dressler next time I'm inclined to brew a clone - seems more intuitive.

As for buying it - this is one of the beers I just enjoy purchasing -  I do brew SNCA-ish beers on occasion, but I usually get my fill once a year for $30/case.  Its a very different beer than my house IPA which is much more southern california style.  Perhaps its just nostalgia.

Yes, it's Larson, thank you. How is the other recipe different? Do you have a link to it?

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 08:33:06 am »
Yes, it's Larson, thank you. How is the other recipe different? Do you have a link to it?
Here's the CYBI recipe and another based on an interview with SN's brewmaster, Dave Dresler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/jamil-show-tastys-sn-celebration-clone-176201/

I brewed something similar  to the second recipe and got pretty close. The real key that isn't mentioned there is that they use English crystal malt, which has a much different character than domestic crystal. I used Simpsons medium.
Here's a link to the interview:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/660

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 08:36:12 am »
that's it.  Its Steve by the way, not Dave.

And you're right - Simpsons Medium English Crystal is important - I made it once with Briess C-60L and it lacked that sumpin-sumpin in the malt flavor.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:44:37 am »
That's Jamil Show recipe is completely different. 5# of crystal vs. 1#. I think I'll stay with Larson's. It's a good one.

Offline blatz

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 08:50:29 am »
That's Jamil Show recipe is completely different. 5# of crystal vs. 1#. I think I'll stay with Larson's. It's a good one.

Bo - the second post in the link, not the first.  That one is the one I meant - and its not that different from the Larson recipe.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 08:51:52 am »
that's it.  Its Steve by the way, not Dave.

And you're right - Simpsons Medium English Crystal is important - I made it once with Briess C-60L and it lacked that sumpin-sumpin in the malt flavor.
That's what I get for posting before the proper amount of coffee has been  imbibed.

It looks like they've tried again since that was posted, but I haven't listened to the show. Maybe while I'm brewing today
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/717

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:50 am »
As for buying it - this is one of the beers I just enjoy purchasing - 

+1

I'll pick up a case of this fine brew.
Ron Price