Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shorten "out" line or leave it be for a corny fermenter?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Shorten "out" line or leave it be for a corny fermenter?
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:57 pm »
Recently I bought 4 ten gallon cornies and would like to use two of them as fermenter/bright tanks. 
Question: Would you shorten the out-tube to avoid blowing out yeast/losing beer and if so how much would you cut off? 
Again, these are ten gallon cornies. Maybe the dimensions are such that the yeast/trub would be of similar depth as in a five gallon.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Shorten "out" line or leave it be for a corny fermenter?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:17:39 pm »
Yes. Maybe 2".

BTW I did this with some of my serving kegs- about 1/2" and it made a real difference.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:53:46 pm »
I would just bend them a bit if you are really worried about it.  Much easier to bend it back than to try to reattach what you cut off.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:41:14 pm »
Just be careful. If you warp the tube then extracting it fully might prove challenging.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:13:26 am »
Thanks guys. I was thinking that bending would likely result in a crimp point so I'll probably just cut one a bit.  The guy I bought the kegs from had one bend to face back up.  Seemed like this would clog with settled yeast and it left a LOT more dead space on the bottom than I think would be necessary to avoid the yeast cake.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:06:45 am »
If you fill it with sand and tape off the ends you should be able to bend it slightly without kinking it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:29:32 am »
Very clever! That may be worth trying.  Hmmm, who's got a sandbox in the neighborhood?  Ah, i know of a volleyball court on the way home... perfect.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:31:38 am »
Good luck, even with sand and a tubing bender. If you go the sand route is has to be packed in the tube very tightly and even then it's difficult to get it right.

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 06:24:30 pm »
Partially remove your dip tube and add 5-6 inches of plastic tubing to your out line.  It will run across the bottom of your corny and up the side an inch or two.(or whatever you feel necessary)

I've done this many times. It works great and you can remove it later without permanently ruining your keg.
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »
Partially remove your dip tube and add 5-6 inches of plastic tubing to your out line.  It will run across the bottom of your corny and up the side an inch or two.(or whatever you feel necessary)

I've done this many times. It works great and you can remove it later without permanently ruining your keg.

Great suggestion. +100

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 07:47:28 am »
I would just bend them a bit if you are really worried about it.  Much easier to bend it back than to try to reattach what you cut off.

I've done this and it works. Also you can replace dip tubes fairly cheaply. But, in regardlas to how much to cut, 2" is way too much. No more than an inch. Half inch is probably plenty.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:23:14 am »
Remember these are ten gallon and are being used as fermenters.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 10:49:31 am »
Why worry about cutting or bending? Get a rubber washer or o-ring that is very tight on the dip tube. Slide it up close to the top. When you are ready to rack the beer, adjust the height of the washer/tube until you don't get any trub.  The washer will keep the tube from slipping back down. You just need a piece vinyl tubing that will fit over the lip of the dip tube and you can siphon away.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:04:15 am by bo »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 10:59:59 am »
Remember these are ten gallon and are being used as fermenters.

Ooops, yeah. Lost track of that.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 03:03:54 pm »

Brilliant!