Red Hydrant has earned Las Vegas’ Big Dog’s Brewing three Great American Beer Festival medals: gold in 2006 and 2010 and silver in 2012. Big Dog’s describes this beer as rich with caramel malts and a hint of English hops with notes of toffee and toasted malt.
This homebrew recipe is featured in Top 50 Commercial Clone Beer Recipes. Find out what recipe was featured for your state!
Big Dog Brewing Red Hydrant English Brown Ale | Northern English Brown
- 8/75 lb Rahr 2-row malt
- 1 lb Simpson's T50 Crystal malt
- 9 oz Simpson's Amber malt
- 8 oz Simpson's Crystal Medium malt
- 2.5 oz Simpson's Roasted barley
- 0.5 oz Kent Goldings hops, 5% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.25 oz Kent Goldings hops, 5% a.a. (30 min)
- 0.25 oz English Fuggles hops, 5.9% a.a. (30 min)
- 0.5 oz English Fuggles hops, 5.9% a.a. (0 min)
- Wyeast 1272 yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.056
- Final Gravity: 1.014
- ABV: 5.5%
Conduct a single infusion mash at 154° F.
Conduct a 60 minute boil, following the hop additions as listed in the ingredients.
Ferment at 68° F.