Paul Long of NEWBERG, OR, member of the Strange Brew Homebrew Club, won a gold medal in Category #1: Light Lager during the 2006 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Orlando, FL. Long’s Light Lager was chosen as the best among 136 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2006 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Champagne Lager | Light Lager
- 14.0 lb (6.35 kg) Pilsner malt
- 1.5 oz (43 g) Hallertauer whole hops, 3.4% a.a. (60 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Hallertauer hops, 3.1% a.a. (15 min)
- Wyeast No. 2112 California lager yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.04
- Final Gravity: 1.007
- ABV: 4.33%
- Mash grains at 152° F (67° C) for 60 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 10 days at 62° F (17° C) in glass.
- Secondary fermentation for 7 days at 68° F (20° C) in steel.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.7 vol).