This recipe won best-of-show at the Third Annual Sister Carmen Pro-Am Competition Fundraiser in Lafayette, Colo. and was kindly provided by Travis Trembly.
Dirk Diggler New England Pale Ale | American Pale Ale
- 11 lb. (5 kg) pale 2-row pale malt
- 2.5 lb. (1.13 kg) flaked oats
- 0.4 lb. (181 g) honey malt
- 0.4 oz. (11 g) Columbus hop pellets, 15% a.a. @ 60 min
- 2 oz. (57 g) Citra hop pellets, 12% a.a. @ 10 min
- 2 oz. (57 g) Amarillo hop pellets, 8% a.a. @ 10 min
- 3 oz. (85 g) Citra hop pellets, 12% a.a., whirlpool 20 min
- 3 oz. (85 g) Amarillo hop pellets, 8% a.a., whirlpool 20 min
- 2 oz. (57 g) Centennial hop pellets, 9% a.a., hopback/hop rocket
- 1.5 oz. (57 g) Amarillo hop pellets, 8% a.a., dry hop 3rd day primary
- 1.5 oz. (57 g) Citra hop pellets, 12% a.a., dry hop 3rd day primary
- 1.5 oz. (57 g) Amarillo hop pellets, 8% a.a., dry hop after FG
- 1.5 oz. (57 g) Citra hop pellets, 12% a.a., dry hop after FG
- Wyeast 1318 London ale III (2L starter)
- Original Gravity: 1.052 (12.75° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.010 (2.5° P)
- ABV: 5.5%
- IBU: 50
- SRM: 4
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Pre-boil Volume: 7.5 U.S. gallons (28.4 L)
Mash at 150° F (66° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 170° F (77° C) and collect at least 7.5 gallons (28.4 L) of wort, much of which will be lost to hops absorption. Bring wort to a boil and add kettle hops per the indicated schedule.
At knockout, add 3 oz. each of Citra and Amarillo hops. Keep the hops in suspension via mechanical whirlpool or by stirring with a large spoon for 20 minutes. After the 20-minute whirlpool, run the wort through a hopback with 2 oz. of Centennial (you may add these at the beginning of the whirlpool if you don’t have a hop back).
Chill the wort to 68° F (20° C), collect 5.5 to 6 gallons (20.8 to 22.7 L) of wort, and oxygenate with pure O2. Pitch yeast and hold fermentation at a steady 68° F (20° C). Approximately 3 days after pitching the yeast, or when the gravity is at 1.020 (5° P), add the first round of Amarillo and Citra dry hops. Once fermentation has completed, add the second round of Amarillo and Citra dry hops and hold 4 to 5 days. Package at 2.4 volumes (4.8 g/L) of CO2 and drink fresh. Haze is expected.
Mash 3 lb. (1.36 kg) pale 2-row malt with flaked and honey malts at 152° F (67° C) for one hour. Drain, rinse grains, and dissolve 5.75. lb. (2.61 kg) pale malt extract syrup into resulting wort. Top off with reverse osmosis or distilled water to desired boil volume and proceed as above.