Mark Boelman of Loveland, CO, member of the Weiz Guys, won a gold medal in Category 25: Spiced Beer during the 2018 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Portland, OR. Boelman’s oatmeal raisin cookie British brown ale was chosen as the best among 398 entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2018 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Dr. Mantis Toboggan Winter Seasonal | Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
- 11 lb. (4.99 kg) Maris Otter malt
- 2 lb. (0.9 kg) 10° L Munich malt
- 1 lb. (454 g) flaked oats
- 0.5 lb. (227 g) oat malt
- 5.3 oz. (150 g) Special B malt
- 1.9 oz. (54 g) Carafa III malt
- 0.75 oz. (21 g) Magnum @ 60 min
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
- 2 Tbsp. (11 g) organic powdered ginger at flame out
- 12 oz. (340 g) organic Corinth raisins
- Organic crushed cinnamon sticks
- Spiced rum
- Inland Island NorCal yeast
- Rocky Mountain tap water, carbon filtered.
- Our water here is 8 ppm Ca, 2 ppm Mg, 15 ppm SO4, 2.5 ppm Cl.
- Original Gravity: 1.070 (17.1° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.010 (2.5° P)
- ABV: 7.90%
- IBU: 25
- SRM: 14
On or before brew day create tincture of 4 oz. (125 mL) vodka and organic crushed cinnamon sticks, added to taste during packaging. I added 50 mL of cinnamon tincture to keg.
On or before brew day, chop 12 oz. (340 g) organic black Corinth raisins and place them in a Mason jar. Fill jar with your favorite spiced rum. After kegging, dry spice with ruminfused raisins in muslin bag until preferred taste is reached.
Flaked oats should be oven toasted until golden brown. Mash at 150°F (66°C) for 60 minutes. Boil 60 minutes. Ferment at 66°F (19°C) degrees. Raise to 70°F (21°C) when fermentation slows.
This beer was part of our club’s “Wort Challenge.” Grimm Brothers Brewing in Loveland, Colo. mashed 85% Root Shoot pale malt and 15% Root Shoot Munich malt to create a 1.040 wort. Each club member took home 5 gallons. The beer that won used the grain listed above in the mash but then was also partially sparged with 2.5 gal. of the Grimm Brothers blend. Beer that medaled was 8 months old at time of competition, a good indication that the spices and alcohols perhaps need a little time to mellow. Special thanks to Drew Beechum for the recipe bones and inspiration!