Yield: 5.5 gallons (20.82 L)
Wookey Jack is an award-winning American-style black ale from Firestone Walker Brewing Company. Some call it a black IPA, others a Cascadian dark ale, but descriptors aside it is one fine hoppy beer. The aggressive hop additions add pingent citrus and herbal hop nuances, while the rye adds a hint of peppery earthiness. The dark colored malts add a twist to your typical IPA malt bill, without being overly roasty.
This clone recipe was put together by Zymurgy magazine Associate Editor Amahl Turczyn and featured in the July/August 2014 Zymurgy.
- 13.5 lb (6.12 kg) pale two-row malt
- 1.66 lb (0.75 kg) Briess rye malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Weyermann 175° L Cara-Rye malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Weyermann 525° L Carafa III malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Briess 550° L Midnight Wheat malt
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Magnum hops, 13% a.a. (90 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops, 12.4% a.a. (20 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Amarillo Gold hops, 8.5% a.a. (20 min)
- 1.75 oz (50 g) Amarillo Gold hops, 8.5% a.a. (whirlpool 5 min)
- 1.75 oz (50 g) Citra hops, 12.4% a.a. (whirlpool 5 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Amarillo Gold hops (dry hop days 1-3)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops (dry hops days 1-3)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Amarillo Gold hops (dry hop days 4-7)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Citra hops (dy hop days 4-7)
- White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast (2,500 mL starter)
Original Gravity: 1.080
Substitute 10.25 lb pale malt extract syrup for pale two-row malt. Mash rye malt with Cara-Rye and color malts for 45 minutes at 155°F (68°C). Rinse, dissolve extract completely and proceed with boil. Expect a slightly higher finishing gravity with extract version.
To create this Firestone Walker Wookey Jack clone, mash at 145-148°F (63-64°C) for 60 minutes. Increase to 155°F (68°C) for 10 minutes, then sparge.
Boil for a total of 90 minutes.
Ferment at 62°F (17°C) for 10 days. After fermentation is complete, add first two dry hops in a weighted hop bag. Steep for three days, then remove and add second two dry hops. Steep four days, then package.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $3.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.