The Alchemist’s Focal Banger recipe is a closely guarded secret, but this American IPA is inspired by famous hoppy ale. This recipe was formulated by the AHA with a few tips from John Kimmich, head brewer and owner of the Stow, Vt.-based brewery.
This homebrew recipe is featured in Top 50 Commercial Clone Beer Recipes. Find out what recipe was featured for your state!
Focal Point (Inspired by The Alchemist’s Focal Banger) | American IPA
- 9 lb (4.08 kg) Pearl malt
- 4.8 lb (2.18 kg) Pilsner malt
- 6-7 mL CO2 hop extract (6o min)
- 1 oz (28 g) Mosaic hops, 12.25% a.a. (10 min)
- 1 oz (28 g) Mosaic hops, 12.25% a.a. (5 min)
- 1 oz (28 g) Mosaic hops, 12.25% a.a. (whirlpool)
- 4 oz (113 g) Citra hops, 12% a.a. (dry)
- White Labs WLP095 Burlington Ale Yeast, Omega Yeast Labs DIPA, GigaYeast Double IPA, The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale, or Imperial Organic Yeast Barbarian
- Original Gravity: 1.064 (15.6* P)
- Final Gravity: 1.012 (3.2* P)
- ABV: 7%
- IBU: 80
- SRM: 5
Mash at 150° F (66° C) for 75 minutes, collect wort, and boil for 60 minutes. If you don’t have the equipment to conduct a whirlpool at the end of the boil, simply conduct a hop stand by steeping the final addition of Mosaic in the hot wort for 10 minutes before chilling. Add dry hops for 3 days, prior to packaging.
Substitute 6.3 lb (2.86 kg) Maris Otter liquid malt extract and 3.4 lb (1.54 kg) Pilsner liquid malt extract for the Pearl malt and Pilsner malt, and proceed with boil. If boiling a concentrated wort, you may need to icnrease the 60-minute addition of hop extract to make up for utilization loss.