Mike Feiertag of Cincinnati, OH, member of the Bloatarian Brewing League, won a gold medal in Category #13: Stout during the 2008 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Cincinnati, OH with the help of Jim Foster. Feiertag’s Stout was chosen as the best among 418 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2008 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Fostag Stout | American Stout
- 19.0 lb (8.62 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) chocolate malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) English roast barley
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) 120° L crystal malt
- 1.5 lb (0.68 kg) flaked oats
- 6.0 oz (170 g) Cascade whole hops, 7% a.a. (60 min.)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Cascade whole hops, 7% a.a. (10 min.)
- White Labs WLP001 California ale yeast
- Dextrose to prime
- Original Gravity: 1.06
- Final Gravity: 1.014
- ABV: 6.04%
- Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 90 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 7 days at 68° F (20° C) in glass.
- Secondary fermentation for 3 days at 65° F (18°C) in glass.