[This recipe was featured in the September/October 2017 issue of Zymurgy magazine.]
Recipe courtesy of Sarah Saleh, The Unity Brew House
A light, easy-drinking ale with fruity hop aromas and flavors from the combination of Endeavour’s citrus and loganberry and First Gold’s orange and floral notes.
Golden Ale | Standard/Ordinary Bitter
- 3 kg (6.6 lb.) pale ale malt
- 100 g (3.5 oz.) torrified wheat
- 70 g (2.5 oz.) pale rye malt
- 4 g (0.1 oz.) Endeavour, 9.8% a.a. @ 60 min
- 18 g (0.6 oz.) Endeavour, 9.8% a.a. @ 5 min
- 22 g (0.8 oz.) First Gold, 7.2% a.a. @ flameout
- Fermentis Safale S-04
- 1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min
- Original Gravity: 1.041 (10° P)
- Final Gravity: 1.009 (2.3° P)
- ABV: 4.2%
- IBU: 20
- SRM: 4
Mash grains at 147° F (64° C) for one hour and sparge at 170° F (77° C). Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops and Whirlfloc according to the schedule above. Chill wort, pitch properly rehydrated yeast, and ferment at 65° F (18° C) until terminal gravity is reached.
Substitute malts with 5.3 lb. (2.38 kg) Maris Otter liquid malt extract and 8 oz. (227 g) rye liquid malt extract. Dissolve extract in water, top up to desired boil volume with reverse osmosis water, and proceed as above.