Nestled under Humphreys Peak, Arizona’s tallest mountain, Historic Brewing Co. shares their recipe for a Dusseldorf altbier brewed with just the right balance of Pilsner and chocolate malts.
This homebrew recipe is featured in Top 50 Commercial Clone Beer Recipes. Find out what recipe was featured for your state!
Historic Brewing Company’s Deer Lord Altbier | Düsseldorf Altbier
- 5 lb (2.27 kg) Pilsner base malt
- 3 lb (1.36 kg) Aromatic Munich 20L malt (Briess)
- 4.4 oz (124.7 g) Chocolate malt
- 3.6 oz (102.1 g) White Wheat malt
- 2.6 oz (73.7 g) Carapils dextrine malt
- 2 oz (56.7 g) Crystal 60L malt
- 0.28 oz (8 g) Magnum pellet hops, 12.3% a.a. (90 min)
- 0.34 oz (10 g) Mount Hood pellet hops, 5.7% a.a. (30 min)
- 0.44 oz (12 g) Mount Hood pellet hops, 5.7% a.a. (5 min)
- Original Gravity: 1.049
- ABV: 5%
- IBU: 23
- SRM: 16
To brew Historic’s Deer Lord Altbier homebrew recipe, create a water profile to replicate Dusseldorf water, and perform an infusion mash at 151° F (66° C) for 60 minutes.
Boil for 90 minutes.
Ferment at 65° F (18° C) for slightly longer than ales to simulate lagering.
Cold crash and condition.