Instead of a commonly thought of coconut dark beer, this German-style coconut hefeweizen is a lighter-bodied beer inspired by one Honolulu Beer Works brewer’s wife. Honolulu BeerWorks CocoWeizen took home a gold medal at Japan’s International Beer Cup 2018.
This homebrew recipe is featured in 51 Craft Beer Clone Recipes 2019. Find out what recipe was featured for your state!
Honolulu BeerWorks CocoWeizen | Weizen/Weissbier
- 8 lb (3.63 kg) White wheat
- 2.5 lb (1.13 kg) 2-row malt
- 1.2 oz (24 g) Crystal hops, 3.9% a.a. (60 min)
- Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen
- 1 lb (0.45 kg) Coconut, shredded (see instructions)
- Original Gravity: 1.048 (11.8 P)
- Final Gravity: 1.006 (1.5 P)
- ABV: 5.50%
- IBU: 14
- SRM: 5.5
Conduct a mash at 150° F (66° C) for 60 minutes. Boil for 60 minutes, following the listed ingredient additions. Ferment at 72° F (22° C) for 10 days.Toast coconut until very dark, but not burnt. Add to secondary in a bag for easy removal. As you will be adding to secondary, take necessary sanitation steps when introducing the coconut. Let beer sit on coconut for 2 days. Transfer and carbonate.