Jamil Zainasheff of Elk Grove, CA, member of the QUAFF, won a gold medal in Category #11: English Brown Ale during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Zainasheff’s English Brown Ale was chosen as the best among 89 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Jamil’s English Brown | English Brown Ale
- 7.5 lb (3.4 kg) pale malt (U.K.)
- 0.5 lb (227 g) 120° L crystal malt (U.S.)
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) 80° L crystal malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) 10° L crystal malt (U.S.)
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Special Roast malt (U.S.)
- 0.5 lb (227 g) light chocolate malt (U.K.)
- 0.25 lb (113 g) Carafa Special II malt
- 0.77 oz (22 g) E.K. Goldings pellet hops, 6.9% a.a., (60 min.)
- White Labs WLP 002 English ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.05
- Final Gravity: 1.02
- ABV: 3.94%
- Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes. Raise mash temperature to 168° F (76° C) to mash out for 10 minutes.