Jamil Zainasheff of Elk Grove, CA, member of the QUAFF, won a gold medal in Category #17: Sour Ale during the 2007 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Denver, CO. Zainasheff’s Sour Ale was chosen as the best among 106 final round entries in the category and helped earn the 2007 NHC Ninkasi Award Winnertitle.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2007 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Jamil’s Flanders Red | Flanders Red Ale
- 5.25 lb (2.38 kg) German Pilsner malt
- 5.25 lb (2.38 kg) US Vienna malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) German Munich malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Belgian caramel Munich malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Belgian aromatic malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) Belgian Special B malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) German wheat malt
- 0.8 oz (23 g) EK Goldings pellet hops, 5% a.a. (60 min.)
- White Labs WLP 001 California ale yeast
- Wyeast No. 3763 Roeselare Blend
- Original Gravity: 1.057
- Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168°F (76°C) for 10 minutes.