Janet’s Brown Ale is no stranger to the world of homebrewing recipes. Mike McDole took home a medal when this recipe won gold in Category 10: Brown Ale at the American Homebrewers Assocation (AHA) National Homebrew Competition (NHC) in 2004. The award winning recipe was then featured in Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer’s book, Brewing Classic Styles, as an example of a bigger, hoppier American Brown Ale. In 2009, McDole took gold again at the AHA NHC with an updated recipe that he categoraized as Imperial Brown Ale, but this time in Category 23: Speciality Beers. Though Janet’s Brown Ale deviates a bit from the style guidelines for a traditional American Brown Ale, surely you will not be upset by the higher IBUs and ABV after taking a sip!
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2009 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Janet’s Brown Ale | American Brown Ale
- 27.5 lb (12.47 kg) pale malt
- 3.0 lb (1.36 kg) dextrin malt
- 2.5 lb (1.13 kg) 40L crystal malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) wheat malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) 350L chocolate malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) corn sugar
- 3.0 oz (85 g) US Northern Brewer pellet hops, 5.1% a.a. (mash)
- 3.0 oz (85 g) US Northern Brewer pellet hops, 5.1% a.a. (60 min)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) US Northern Brewer pellet hops, 5.1% a.a. (15 min)
- 3.0 oz (85 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.6% a.a. (10 min)
- 4.0 oz (113g) Cascade whole hops, 5.8% a.a. (0 min, hopback)
- 4.0 oz (113g) Centennial pellet hops, 10.5% a.a. (dry hop)
- White Labs WLP001, 4000ml starter
- Original Gravity: 1.074
- Final Gravity: 1.018
- ABV: 7.35%
- Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 30 minutes. Raise to 170° F (77° C) and hold for 15 minutes. Sparge at 170° F (77° C) for 45 minutes. Dry hop in secondary for 7 days. Water profile: Ca 110.0 ppm, Mg 18.0 ppm, Na 17.0 ppm, SO4 350.0 ppm, Cl 50.0 ppm. Cold conditioned six weeks. Filtered to 7 microns.
- Primary fermentation for 7 days at 68° F (20° C).
- Secondary fermentation for 9 days at 70° F (21° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.4 vol).