Desire is Moonlight Meadery’s flagship mead, which they describe as an enticing, complex blend of blueberries, black cherries, and black currants balanced with the basic elements of mead: honey, water, and yeast. It’s one of Londonderry, N.H.’s finest exports.
This homebrew recipe is featured in Top 50 Commercial Clone Beer Recipes. Find out what recipe was featured for your state!
Moonlight Meadery Desire Melomel | Melomel: Other Fruit
- 18 lbs (8.2 kg) Wildflower Honey
- 5 qts (4.7 L) Black Currant Juice
- 5 qts (4.7 L) Black Cherry Juice
- 4 qts (3.8 L) Blueberry Juice
- 1 tsp Fermaid-K
- 2 tsp GoFerm
- 0.35 oz (10 g) | Lalvin Narbonne Yeast (71B-1122)
- Original Gravity: 1.158 (approx.)
- Final Gravity: 1.030
Combine honey and juices with enough water to bring total volume to five gallons. Mix well. Pitch yeast.
Combine the one teaspoon of Fermaid-K and two teaspoons of GoFerm to create a nutrient/energizer blend. Make sure it is well mixed. Add the blend using the following schedule. Make sure to hydrate and add VERY slowly:
- 3/4 tsp of the blend immediately after pitching the yeast
- 3/4 tsp of the blend 24 hours after fermentation begins
- 3/4 tsp of the blend 48 hours after fermentation begins
- 3/4 tsp of the blend after 30% of the sugar has been depleted
Ferment at 62° F (16.7° C). Rack to a secondary vessel after three months.