Curt & Kathy Stock of St. Paul, MN, member of the Saint Paul Homebrewers Club, won a gold medal in Category #25: Melomel (Fruit Mead) during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Stock’s Melomel (Fruit Mead) was chosen as the best among 126 final round entries in the category and helped earn the 2005 NHC Meadmaker of the Year title.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Pyment (Grape Melomel) with Muscat Grape Juice and Sage Blossom Honey | Mead
- 10.0 lb (4.54 kg) sage blossom honey
- 3.0 gallons (11.35 L) Muscat grape juice
- 10.0 g Lalvin 71-B yeast
- 2.0 tsp yeast nutrient
- 1.0 tsp yeast energizer
- Original Gravity: 1.135
- Final Gravity: 1.02
- ABV: 15.09%
- Primary fermentation for 60 days in glass.
- Secondary fermentation for 40 days in glass.
- Tertiary fermentation for 60 days in steel.